No announcement yet.

Should polygamy be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like my paradigm where it is right now.
    Poly-anything is inherently wrong (and illegal).
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278
      I like my paradigm where it is right now.
      Poly-anything is inherently wrong (and illegal).

Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean the law that illegalizes it, is a just law.

You could have argued in the 1950s and 60s then, that racial integration would be wrong because it was illegal.

You made me play devil's advocate for those who find polygamy and polyandry acceptable. Thanks a lot.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
        You made me play devil's advocate for those who find polygamy and polyandry acceptable. Thanks a lot.
        I have a knack for bringing people over to the dark side.

Personally, I believe anything goes between consenting adults but laws are there for a reason, even if the reason isn't evident. Laws, of course, can change as society changes. Still, polygamy is a bad idea.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Still, polygamy is a bad idea.

agreed
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava

It seems as if you were just responding to the last sentence of the piece of the post that you quoted from me.
            Dude, that was not the last sentence of the post. Did you read what you write?

Originally posted by Sava
            Maybe if you took what I said in the entire context, you would understand my meaning... instead of splitting hairs over my exact wording of that sentence.

I think I described my position quite well. Do you require some sort of clarification? Or did you just feel like arguing semantics?
            I like arguing semantics

I understand what you said. You posited that a marriage should be binding as per a contract that is mutually agreed upon. Though all you are doing is just moving it from the law governing marriage to the law governing contracts. I don't see the point.

For starters, marriage has a lot to do with things like money, social status, and a whole lot of sundry issues. I don't see how you can possibly cover all grounds with a contract. OTOH, there are a whole body of precedents in marriage law if and when a court needs to deal with some of these issues.

Originally posted by Sava
            And if marriage is "pretty much a purely legal matter", then why is the gay marriage issue in America such a divisive one? Maybe because marriage ISN'T a purely legal matter and there are social and religious concerns as well.
            Silly red herring.

Do you want to go cut down the tallest tree in the forest with it?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Though all you are doing is just moving it from the law governing marriage to the law governing contracts. I don't see the point.

The point is quite obvious isn't it? If it is just a contractual relation, then gays would already have the 'right' to marry. The state would have no block on it.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• the reason why gays can't marry is because people are homophobic. It has nothing to do with religious or moral values. They are afraid of "gayness" spreading.

Comment

• update: Polygamist leader is arrested just outside of Las Vegas

This guy has 40 wives and 60 children. Some of the marriages he forced involved girls as young as 13 years old.

His father had 65 children!

Comment

• Cut his balls off!
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

In the law school class I took on First Amendment law, the class came to a conclusion that polygamy bans couldn't survive under the Constitution.
                      A conclusion our Feds have come to wrt our Charter as well.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Frankly, between me, the wife, and two cats, there isn't enough room in the bed for another spouse.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                        X