No announcement yet.

Should polygamy be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this thread should be saved as reference to disprove any assertian that apolytoners are smarter then the average person..

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      the oldest wife

Primowifeiture? Hmm.:P
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        this thread should be saved as reference to disprove any assertian that apolytoners are smarter then the average person..

JM
        if you say so...

Despite what I said earlier in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that polygamy is just a form of sexual slavery.

Anyone see the news article on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Colorado City (Arizona) last night on CNN? Unbelievable. They just kick out male members of the church they don't like and give their wives to other men. They also kick out males because there are simply too many males, and not enough women.

I'm appalled that slavery is still alive and well in america. And no one is doing anything about it. The Utah attorney general says he is focussing on more serious crimes. Is slavery not a serious crime?

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that polygamy is just a form of sexual slavery.

Letting one crazy church reflect on an entire practice

It'd be like saying we should get rid of marriage because the Catholic Church doesn't let gays marry.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            I have come to the conclusion that polygamy is just a form of sexual slavery.

Letting one crazy church reflect on an entire practice

It'd be like saying we should get rid of marriage because the Catholic Church doesn't let gays marry.
            polygamy in the middle east is sexual slavery as well. That makes 2 religions . Although this has nothing to do with the religions. As these are just fundamentalist sects.

Comment

polygamy in the middle east is sexual slavery as well.

Monogamy in the Middle East is sexual slavery as well .

There is two (at least) against monogamy
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Illegal, it discriminates against men who arn't rich sugar daddies, and would be a legal nightmare.

Comment

I see no intellectual reason for it to be illegal as opposed to monogamy, after all, marriages are contracts, and who said people can't enter into multiple contracts.

As for "legal" nightmares: its called changing and clarifying the law. And making the litigants pay up most of the civil court costs.

In short, its not something I see any compelling reason to ban, as long as those interested in doing it have a fair understanding of the consequences they might endure. I know that is a pretty high standard, but heck, if fools are allowed to marry one person and screw it up, why not three?
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    As far as I'm concerned, it should be legal if all are "consenting adults"... I hold the same view for gay marriages. Consenting adults who love each other and want to get married should be allowed to.

I agree.

I have some concerns regarding polygamy because historically, young girls have been used as property. But in today's world, I don't see why consenting adults cannot enter into such arrangements.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• But how should the legal ramifications of marriage be applied ... that's probably the reason it's not legal now. It would drive up health insurance costs, and divorce lawyers would have a field day.

We can't seem to keep ONE marriage together for very long (in America) ... Two is just asking for trouble
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I have read some research on Bedouin-Arab families and Hmong individuals, that says that individuals raised in a polygamous family face detrimental effects due to the polygamy. More research needs to be done on the subject, but I think the detrimental effects of polygamy allow it to be illegal.
                        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• There are many things with detrimental effects that we don't ban .

Comment

• Yes, Imran, but we have to weigh in the ramifications against the resources spent on enforcement.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Im talking detrimental effect to the children.
                              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by flash9286
                                Im talking detrimental effect to the children.
                                Like... say.... video games?

Comment

Working...
                                X