No announcement yet.

Should polygamy be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC Is that something, a will can clarify?? Including appointing an excuator that will be responsible to disperse the estate to all those listed as heirs etc?? Im sure the survivor benefits as far as I know list this man as the childs father, the mother in question will recieve benefits in that childs name
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

There are several aspects in this. Primarily, any questions about common childrens are void. Same for certain insurances (actually, you can have a life insurance bout if you aren't married with the person you have lived with for the past 20 years, you get zero ) .

And no (I guess it's bad english to start a sentence this way ) wills can only in special circumstances redirect things.

Oh, don't take me as a witness in an american court, all I have written concerns danish legalty
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I thought as long as you are the benefaciary on that life insurance nothing except foul play could not let you get it. Goes to show How much I might know bout life insurance
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Dis Last I checked Woman outpopulated then men.
          Mostly because tehy live older. There are more boys born than girls (strange as it may seem).
          Now anyone read Typee? It seems polyandry did happen where a woman had an old (rich) husband and a younger husband.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Problem is, under current law, if x goes into debt, the creditor can go after Y's assets. Which presumably means Y can be forced to use Ts assets to pay off X's debt, even though T never consented to the marriag to X.

You've seen a way out, I hope. You change the law so that creditors can only attach for those with privity of marriage contract with the individual. So they can only go after who X entered into a marriage contract with.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
              I thought as long as you are the benefaciary on that life insurance nothing except foul play could not let you get it. Goes to show How much I might know bout life insurance
              you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare

Mostly because tehy live older. There are more boys born than girls (strange as it may seem).
                Now anyone read Typee? It seems polyandry did happen where a woman had an old (rich) husband and a younger husband.
                I've always heard women are 51% of the birthrate.

Comment

I've always heard women are 51% of the birthrate.
                  It's the opposite. 105 males for 100 females. But males tend to die younger thus there tends to be a balance when children reach adulthood. Afterwards, wars and old age are also harder on men thus there are more women. We should therefore allow polygamy so the male newborns who will die at 2 can marry two old maidens who're almost a century old and would otherwise never enjoy marriage.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                    Since an alleged reduction in violence is your standard and not freedom, why not just force women to marry men they dont want to marry?
                    because that would fall the other way as well, forcing men to marry women they don't want to marry. If you want to forment a violent revolution, This could be the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      in most countries where polygamy is actually practiced, it tends to be a tool for male domination.
                      Which is why I'm not a strong supporter of legalization of polygamy.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

i want many women i want many
                        i want many blondes brunettes
                        a german to have for nanny
                        A greek to hold in my embrace
                        i want many and from all the races
                        A turkish so she can hold my nargileh
                        a spanish to dance for me ole
                        i want many blondes and brunettes
                        an african so i can send her to work
                        an american so i can take her money
                        i want many and from all the races

(kiouproulis)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Which is why I'm not a strong supporter of legalization of polygamy.
                          it makes no sense to me, but what do I know about women.

It seems to me when you have more women than men, they can gang up on the man. How could the man abuse the women?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

It seems to me when you have more women than men, they can gang up on the man. How could the man abuse the women?
                            The fact that in many countries, that one, single man has ultimate authority over all of his "wives" in similar vein that a single slaveowner held control over all of his slaves on his plantation.

Just because the master is outnumbered, does not mean he lacks resources and means to exert his control.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

The fact that in many countries, that one, single man has ultimate authority over all of his "wives" in similar vein that a single slaveowner held control over all of his slaves on his plantation.

Just because the master is outnumbered, does not mean he lacks resources and means to exert his control.
                              my poll doesn't refer to 3rd world and middle eastern countries that treat women like dog****, and they have the laws to back them up. Women can't do **** in Africa, or the middle east. The laws are against them.

The poll mainly refers to the countries most of us live in. U.S., Canada, England, Australia, New Zealand, bunch of weird scandinavian folks, China, Japan, S. Korea, France, Greece. I think that's most of them. There are a few posters from other countries than those.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                                A workable polygamy should work like the EU: unanimity must be had for every new member in the union
                                and unanimity for every major decision.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X