No announcement yet.

Should polygamy be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... but it is also about men who would find advantages forming small communities of like minded men where they could dominate their docile women and rear their own sex slaves to trade amongst themselves.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Where's the "I wish I were a polygamist" option?
      Believe me when I say you don't.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The only issue I'd have with Polygamy would be the legal sidef of things. After all, since sex outside of marriage is no longer particularly a problem, the only difference between a man living with six women but not married to any of them, and a man living with six women but married to all of them, or two, or whatever, is that in the polygamy scenario, which is ILLEGAL, the women and the man would all gain the 'legal' benefits of marriage - ie, health insurance provided by the man's job, joint tax filing status, things like that. Those benefits probably shouldn't accrue completely to all wives/husbands; or should be regulated in such a way as is fair to monogamous pairs. However, between the rarity of people desiring polygamy (pretty rare, regardless of our young Kuci here) and the complexity already extant in such laws/etc. (instead of three tiers of health insurance, there's a fourth variable tier?), it's unlikely laws will ever allow polygamy per se simply because it's not worth the trouble for the state.

So i'd say the state should allow all of the nonfiduciary benefits of marriage to apply to as many people as you choose, men or women or whatever, but the monetary benefits should only apply to one pair, or should have some particularly obvious and derivative method of application.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And what when one spouse is telling the doctors to save the patient, but the other is telling them not to take heroic measures? Who do the doctors listen to?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

When a woman has three husbands, one rich and two not so much.

The children of the rich father have it all. The children of the others not so much.

Sounds like a formula for familial bliss if you ask me.

But then the rich father kicks the bucket. You would assume that a father would want his estate to benefit his children, yes? What does mom do with that mess?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Three women are married to a serviceman. There are seven children. Dad gets killed on active duty. The state pays orphan's benefits for seven children?

Widows benefits for three wives? Do they each get a third of a share?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

nye giving all the practical reasons why this is stupid also

(I disagree with it on a more fundamental level, in that I odn't think the state shuold be supporting relationships which are not going to add to the stability and happiness of the people (which overall marriage does))

JM
                (reason why I think that homosexuals should be able to marry is because they aren't being allowed that, so now all 'natural' sexualities are included, I am fine)

(and don't argue to me that panamory is a 'natural' sexuality, those who are other sexualities (as long as they aren't pedo, or beast only, or something else ****ed up) can still get married to someone they want to, so there is not a problem with inclusion)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  And what when one spouse is telling the doctors to save the patient, but the other is telling them not to take heroic measures? Who do the doctors listen to?
                  the oldest wife

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                    Three women are married to a serviceman. There are seven children. Dad gets killed on active duty. The state pays orphan's benefits for seven children?

Widows benefits for three wives? Do they each get a third of a share?
                    this is no different if the guy had 3 wives and 7 children at separate timese.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the military gives out orphans benefits.

That's what SGLI is for. As for SGLI (life insurance), you can split it evenly between the wives.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley

This and many of its other associated problems can be solved if an equal number of women are married to multiple men.
                      That's not going to happen. You only need to look at the disasters that befell many communes to know what a daft idea it is. What will happen is that a few men will accrue several wives, leaving other men out in the cold. They won't take this very well at all, and a rise in criminal behaviour from said men is inevitable.

A few women will marry more than one man, but sheer biology means that polygamy tends to suit men more than women.

In theory, things like polygamy and polyamory sound fine, and there are always a few people who could probably make it work in a non-exploitative way, but for most people it will be a disaster waiting to happen, and it's simply more efficient to ban it for everyone.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

That's not going to happen. You only need to look at the disasters that befell many communes to know what a daft idea it is. What will happen is that a few men will accrue several wives, leaving other men out in the cold. They won't take this very well at all, and a rise in criminal behaviour from said men is inevitable.

A few women will marry more than one man, but sheer biology means that polygamy tends to suit men more than women.

In theory, things like polygamy and polyamory sound fine, and there are always a few people who could probably make it work in a non-exploitative way, but for most people it will be a disaster waiting to happen, and it's simply more efficient to ban it for everyone.
                        I believe the human world has many similarities to the animal world. Though evidence has shown humans to be more mongamous than most animals. But I bring this animal point up because of your comment about violence.

The men with the many wives will more than likely be the strongest of the men. The weaker men are unlikely to challenge the dominate male. though they could team together with another weak male and make a run for him.

I often wonder about why there seem to be so few women available. And it seems to me that a majority of women are going after just a few men. Look at those personal adds on AOl love or something. Nearly every single woman says they are looking for an Alpha male. Even the ugly ones want alpha males (like they are going to get them ). Women are not attracted to weak men.

Comment

A workable polygamy should work like the EU: unanimity must be had for every new member in the union
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

The men with the many wives will more than likely be the strongest of the men. The weaker men are unlikely to challenge the dominate male. though they could team together with another weak male and make a run for him. .
                            Or they could buy a gun.

Monogamy is the accepted way for a reason.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Dis Last I checked Woman outpopulated then men. There are women out there which brings up Jon Millers question how do you find one. But back to pologamy, why is it necesaary in these relationsships to be married if these folks want to live like this why dont they just all shack up??? I dont think I have ever heard of laws preveting these folks to live together
                              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Legal reasons - if you are married a lot of things are different such as who benefits in case of death etc. Oh, and then there are the childrens - a never ending warzone
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X