No announcement yet.

Should polygamy be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriages are expensive, too. With Poly-marriage, that's just a lot of money down on silly multiple celebrations. And with polymarriage, that's just a lot of wierdness. I can't imagine Agathon and Asher tying the knot.

Then again, why are divorces so expensive? Because they're worth it. ZING!
    B♭3

Comment

No. It should be illegal. It will leave too many men without wives and lead to a corresponding increase in violence.

That's why it tends to be illegal.
      So women and men should not be allowed to marry whom they want because someone else left out of the marriage game will commit crimes? Seems to me these violent men make bad husbands and the targets of their violence will be their wives and children. Btw, polygamy was outlawed in this country because many Christians opposed it on religious grounds, Adam and Eve blah blah blah.

Since an alleged reduction in violence is your standard and not freedom, why not just force women to marry men they dont want to marry?

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
        No, it shouldn't be legal.

Not that I'm personally that opposed to it, but aren't divorces between two people messy enough? I mean, come on here... Who would get to keep wife #4 and husband #2 here? And their kids?

And jesus, what if wife #6 wanted to divorce wife #5, but they both wanted to keep husband #2? Just...

Well, Imran and other lawyers would win.
        Sorry in the instance of polyogemy there isnt husband number 2 there is only one hubby that wnats to have wifes # 1 thru infinity so the husband confusion is out here.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Current Wife #1 of Mr. T, I must say that my post there was meant in jest, and had absolutely no real, argumentary bearing on the topic at hand.
          B♭3

Comment

Thats because polygamy in this country was tied to a specific religion and has been illegal for a long time. There are or have been polygamist cultures where women had multiple husbands. When we say polygamy should be legal, it should be legal for women to have multiple husbands too.

Comment

I think the simplest approach would be to lift restrictions on "bigamy" or multiple marriages.

x can marry y
              x can marry z
              x can marry w
              w can marry t
              t can marry y
              y can marry z

Moo.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                I think the simplest approach would be to lift restrictions on "bigamy" or multiple marriages.

x can marry y
                x can marry z
                x can marry w
                w can marry t
                t can marry y
                y can marry z

Moo.
                Problem is, under current law, if x goes into debt, the creditor can go after Y's assets. Which presumably means Y can be forced to use Ts assets to pay off X's debt, even though T never consented to the marriag to X.

Y'all seem to think this is about sex. Except for the states leo mentioned, who rarely enforce their laws anyway, anyone can live with and sleep with whomever they want. Its about legal relationships. Property. Etc.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Some of you people live in an absolute dream world.
                  As hard as it is to find a compatable individual, you vote for polygamy. Thanks. I needed the laugh.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    As hard as it is to find a compatable individual, you vote for polygamy. Thanks. I needed the laugh.
                    it can't be that hard to find a compatible individual. People have been doing it for thousands of years with ease.

Comment

most of that time marriages were arranged..

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I always hear those are the happiest marriages. But that could be just talk.

Comment

What's the percentage that ends in divorce in the USA? Right at 50%. Still want to talk polygamy? You go right ahead.
                          Oh, good. I get another laugh.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Hmmm... some of us have been married for years

If you actually took the time to read what many people are saying... you would see that people think it should be legal... not necessarily that it something they would want to do... hell... one wife is more than enough for me
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Slow, I thought you believed in freedom?

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                                Y'all seem to think this is about sex. Except for the states leo mentioned, who rarely enforce their laws anyway, anyone can live with and sleep with whomever they want. Its about legal relationships. Property. Etc.

Add inheritance, guardianship, etc...
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X