No announcement yet.

Comics as a Kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid, I read European stuff like Asterix, Tintin, Spirou et Fantasio...
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
      Sigh... No Franquin in this thread, no George Herriman, not one of the old EC gang...

And where is Carl Barks? Huh?
      DeathByTheSword mentioned Spirou et Fantasio. Its Robbedoes in Dutch. I don't know the other ones you mentioned.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
        When I was a kid, I read European stuff like Asterix, Tintin, Spirou et Fantasio...
        Asterix, that is the name of the one that my art teacher in junior high had.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

DeathByTheSword mentioned Spirou et Fantasio. Its Robbedoes in Dutch. I don't know the other ones you mentioned.
          The cover he posted was not of a Franquin Spirou, it was by Tome & Janry.

Herriman was the author of Krazy Kat, an American comic from 1911 till 1944, and probably the best comic ever. I know Bill Waterson thought so.

EC was the publisher of all those 50's comics, including MAD. Wood, Davis, Elder, Kurtzman, Frazetta to name a few...

And Barks of course is THE Duckman, the creator of Uncle Scrooge, Gyro Gearloose, Gladstone Gander etc...
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

Later on I also enjoyed Enki Bilal

Moebius

Gotlib

Reiser

Comment

Some links don't show up. Here's a Reiser. He's hillarious, btw.
              Attached Files

Comment

Go Nostromo go!
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Another one
                  Attached Files

Comment

<----- My favourite cartoon.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

That Mobius looks good. And Reisus looks very much like a Playboy cartoon-type deal.

Asterix, I remember that! I used to read some of those. I thought that he was one of the guys in "The Lost Vikings" game.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                        Reisus looks very much like a Playboy cartoon-type deal.
                        What do you mean by "Playboy cartoon-type deal"? Reiser is really, really funny. But its not just dirty jokes. The only men's magazine cartoon I remember was in a Penthouse. A cute naked girl was about to have sex with a bearded guy, and she asks "Please, be gentle, its my first time with a communist."

Comment

I've liked Calvin & Hobbes but haven't gotten to read it all that much. However, I don't know if I can resist The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, it would make a fine companion to my The Complete Far Side. I wonder if it was wise to pre-order it, it looks like decent savings on Amazon.com.

Comment

Working...
                          X