just. plain. STUPID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disprove it.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I just did, to my satisfaction. A third of the population obtaining a bachelor's degree compares very favorably to almost all other countries in the modern world. It is a shame that it compares very favorably, but it does.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Big deal, so more people get a piece of paper saying they have an advanced education

Tell me how our high school students compare internationally with other countries, in terms of knowledge attained and test scores on core subjects? I'll tell you without looking at the stats:

THEY SUCK
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• DanS pwns. Which is funny, cuz it's genereally the conservtives in this country, ala Kaak, who repeated the mantra given to them by talk radio about how bad the American education system is. The fact is, it' just as much BS as is the BS about how great the other countries' schools are. Our system gets results. Sure, we may not know our history, or anyone elses for that matter, and we can't find ourselves on a map, but we sure are some clever mother****ers.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Our advanced educational system is better than any other country. That I'll agree on.

It's our middle schools and high schools that need work.

Comment

• I'm not gonna say they're perfect, but they're inferiority is hype, as is the superiority of the Europeans and Japanese.

I'll give you an example. My buddy was in a class that handed out serveys for everyone to take in order to measure what they knew. It wasn't part of the class and it didn't count for their grade, so they didn't take it seriously, and deliberately made up bad answers.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Laugh all you want; it's measurable fact. Look up the literature if you don't believe me.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• or the people who have traveled, ala Kaak, have experienced it first hand.
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• So because you were poorly educated, we all are?

I'm sorry, but I had a damn good education at a public school, and so did many of the people I know.

Comment

I'm not gonna say they're perfect, but they're inferiority is hype, as is the superiority of the Europeans and Japanese.
                      Japanese pupils study more than European and American combined, but what they study is sill mostly route memorization.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Kaak: I commend you for broadening your horizons and experiencing things first hand. But others have traveled now and then as well.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          Japanese pupils study more than European and American combined, but what they study is sill mostly route memorization.
                          But even Japanese schools aren't the perfect models that conseravtives like to bash us over the head with. Theben's got a book that sets a lot of that crap straight.

Comment

So because you were poorly educated, we all are?

I'm sorry, but I had a damn good education at a public school, and so did many of the people I know.

So did I.

But you haven't been in school for a very long time. (No offense). Things have changed.

I know many many educators and they all say things have slipped considerably in the last 30 years. Teachers hate their jobs, they used to love them, they spend more time pushing paperwork and being police than they do teaching nowadays.

Then you have inner city schools with their own problems, with chain linked, razor wire fences around them to keep gangs out.

On top of this, you have a REALLY BAD nutritional system that has been taken over by greedy corporations, which have been pushing over processed, nutritionally empty foods to the kids. Healthy bodies mean healthy minds and that's not the norm right now.

Comment

• Yeah, but conservatives have been saying this crap for over twenty years, so I'm disinclined to believe them now.

Comment

• Ted: My experience was completely the opposite. The local public high schools around where I grew up in Ohio are much more rigorous now versus when I went through.

YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                                X