just. plain. STUPID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Theben

I'm sorry but you're painfully wrong. The point is to teach specialized history, not lopsided.

Why, then, is the standard argument for Black history that normal history education marginalizes Black achievements and contributions?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Theben: so, you are saying our schools are doing a poor job? hmmm...me too
      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoseDARs

But he keeps talking like we're all whitebread honkies who's only exposure to black people is through television and maple syrup bottles. Where's the pwnage?
        He provoked you into making a major fool out of yourself.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaak
          Theben...you didn't even check the link did you? tisk tisk...maybe you should make sure you know what you are talking about next time
          Didn't have to. I've heard this song-and-dance before. I'll check my sources later and get back to you.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Wait, pointing out that he's mistakenly assuming that most of us have had little or no contact with non-white ethnicities constitutes making a fool out of myself? Have you read this thread? And I'm the fool?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaak
              Theben: so, you are saying our schools are doing a poor job? hmmm...me too
              I'm saying that they could do a much better job. However for those going on to higher education they seem to have done just fine.
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist

Why, then, is the standard argument for Black history that normal history education marginalizes Black achievements and contributions?
                Because it does?

Comment

Because it does?
                  Thanks for conceding the point.

Comment

• Speaking of fools, check out the Guns, Germs, and Steel thread. Guess who's back...
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      I haven't read the past few pages, but I'm suprised JCC is still trying to play his racism card. The black friends I've had would probably beg to differ in his calling me a racist...
                      , I'm not discounting you. It just always amuses me when people say they have black friends.

I, for one have no black friends. I do not need to prove my non-racism to you all. I know what I am. I don't need black friends to prove I'm not a racist.

Comment

Except Kaak's tables are meaningless. Basically you're comparing the best students in Europe and elsewhere with the average american student. Of course americans will perform worse. However, when compared to specialized u.s. schools, the equivalent of European gymnasiums, americans perform as well or even better than theit European and Japanese counterparts.
                        False.
                        Gymnasiums (which aren't spread everywhere in Europe if I may add. I don't think it's anywhere else than in germanic Europe, and Germany scored poorly) are not elite highschools, they're highschools for general education. They have a technical/vocational counterpart.

Most European systems are actually much less compartimented than the German one. Finland, the best result overall, does not compartiment its education before a fairly old age. The Finnish result is what you get in an average Finnish high school.

Unlike the Yanks, the Germans saw their poor grades for what they are: a terrible blow to their self-image. To my foreign eyes, the PISA study looked like a trauma in Germany. Unsurprisingly, arrogant nationas (France and the US) said "nothing to see here" and moved along.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Didn't have to. I've heard this song-and-dance before. I'll check my sources later and get back to you.

"Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                            Thanks for conceding the point.
                            If your point was that teaching lop-sided history is bad, then I agreed with you from the get-go. If your point was that teaching history with a focal point is bad (which is what I read) then you're way off.

Comment

• I guess it's difficult for Theben to realize he graduated from 3rd world school...

Hey, when you have 99% or more reading and writing ability in your .. let's make it easier, state.. heck even more easy, in city.. heck, district.. come back and debate more. They also got owned in math etc etc etc. FACTS.

'ohh but but but' stop crying. No one cares. j00r 2 stopid & so is j00r fr1nds. And unlike in there, we don't train for POS test like SATs. But more like what you need to know when doing these subjects. FACTS.

Get over it or commit a suicide, either one is cool with me.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Are we playing a card game?

/me plays the "I only got one black friend card"!
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X