Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there people who like to be oppressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there people who like to be oppressed?

It is always assumed, at least by the political mainstream in the Western world, that all people have an urgent need for freedom.

But is that true? Don't you think that many individuals and possibly even the majority of whole peoples might at least unconciously want to be oppressed?

Waiting...
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
      Waiting...
      For what?

Comment

*Ahem*

Maestro...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
          Waiting...

Comment

Err...

Comment

Comment

Don't play ignorant Stew
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Welcome David F.

Oppression could be preferred by many people over freedom, if the oppressive system also provides a stability that is threatened by freedom. This is why many ordinary people have opposed the French revolution, or why many people have joined sides with the English during the American revolution.

Similar arguments can be heard today in China, where many people fear that democracy would destroy the country (and they point out to past examples where a weak central power plunged China in a period of chaos).
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Don't play ignorant Stew
                    Guess you won't believe it but I don't even know who Stew is, not to think of being him or her.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir David Frost

For what?
                      Sorry, didn't want to start the DL dance Supposing you are not a DL I might as well explain...

It's an old Apolyton tradition to welcome every first-time poster in Off Topic with the DL dance

And please, don't ask what a DL is...
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          Welcome David F.

Oppression could be preferred by many people over freedom, if the oppressive system also provides a stability that is threatened by freedom. This is why many ordinary people have opposed the French revolution, or why many people have joined sides with the English during the American revolution.

Similar arguments can be heard today in China, where many people fear that democracy would destroy the country (and they point out to past examples where a weak central power plunged China in a period of chaos).
                          Good points. But you don't think there is a cultural component in this?

Comment

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Come on, you're making it too obvious spinkster.

Comment

Working...
                              X