Hurting Ali G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurting Ali G

Ali G., for those of you who fortunately have never seen his show, is the screen name of a jerkoff British comedian who does shock comedy in the vein of Tom Green and Ashton Kutcher. He's on HBO; basically what he does is, he puts on a disguise (he has three personalities he generally uses) and wrangles an interview with some official on a serious subject, then acts obnoxious and rude during the interview for crude laughs while the interviewee is sitting there looking flustered. I've seen the show before, and parts of it were fitfully amusing, but mostly I was overwhelmed by the sheer inconsiderate gall he had to abuse the well-meaning people he preyed on.

But now it's personal. I have a friend online (met through a blog) who works as some kind of producer for a TV news program in Mississippi. Ali G. recently hit her people up for an interview in his "chauvinistic Afghan guy" disguise, pretending to be part of a documentary on American media or some such. He got the interview with impeccably faked credentials, then proceeded to act like a total arsehat as usual, running around screaming, spewing dirty-Arab stereotypes, and eventually breaking loose and hugging the weather guy during a live feed. My friend, who like me is autistic and therefore had no way of telling that the guy was putting her on, thinks she may lose her job for embarrassing the station by giving this clown an interview.

I don't know about that--he's annoyed and humiliated lots of people, many of whom had much more reason to be wary than her--but I think it'd be nice to burn this bugger for putting her through it, and to prevent him from hurting other decent people in the future. The only question is how. I'm assuming HBO is well armored against legal repercussions no matter how full of crap they were; does anybody know if she could put his balls in a litigation-vise for getting her fired, somehow? I don't know law. I gather that HBO will react with glee or indifference to any complaints, since any reaction works for them. Any ideas?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Yeah. Get a sense of humour.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think you'd have better success trying to pull Ali G's leg in public.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Sense of humor? It's not funny, it's just cruel. And insulting to foreigners. And when it could cost my friend her job I'm not laughing regardless.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Knock his teeth out.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

His act is funny, once, then its trite on second viewing.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Typical of the media. She failed to do her research ahead of time and now wants to be compensated b/c someone took advantage of her. It seems the only thing taught at journalism school these days is how to hold a microphone.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                    Aaiiyee!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                      I agree in regards to Ali G. but Borat is typically alot better, and not quite as predictable. He always does the same damn thing with Ali. G. but Borat atleast has a little bit more variety and can get better reactions from people.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The best way to hurt him is to not watch his show. Low ratings is the best way to get him fired.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If she gets fired, it'll be for incompetence (and rightly so).

Do your research and fact-checking first...it's her job isn't it.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yup, pretty much covers it.

He's interview with the Beck's (red nose day) was good, one of the few I ever saw.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

His act is ... trite on ... viewing.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X