Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, so close (the return of the poker thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, so close (the return of the poker thread)

I started playing PokerRoom again a couple days ago. Tonight, I entered the 30+3 $50,000 guaranteed tournament.

From about the 1.5 hour mark to about the 4 hour mark, I was the chip leader. I was just brutalizing people, well on my way to the $12,000 top prize.

Then, when there were about 60 players left (out of 770), I suffered my first major defeat. I got the #4 chip guy to go all in against me; I had pocket 8s with 4, 4, 6 on the board. He had pocket 10s. As a result, my chips were cut by about 2/3, and it was downhill from there.

I managed to hold out until 30th place, when I went all in pre-flop with A-10 suited, and ran into A-J. Won a solid $275. But, dizzamn, I was oh so ****ing close to getting some serious money...
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Congrats on the $275!

Unless, of course, you paid $500 to enter.

Comment

Since I started playing again, I'm up about $400 overall.

No, only $33.

Ahhh, memories...
      Attached Files

Comment

Didn't even see KH's poker thread... oops.

Comment

Suckah.

good going though. can't stand rebuys, personally
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

don't play the guaranteeds for that reason.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not a fan of rebuys, either. But I was doing so well in the $50 sit and gos, I figured it was worth the lark. Turned out it was, and was almost ridiculously worth it.

Comment

I'm slumming it in the 20$ SNGs

It's almost ridiculously easy. Plus my bankroll is only at 400$ right now (withdrew money not too long ago)
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

30$ starts to be solid. 50$ is where you see people making tricky plays etc.

Much harder to win there, but still not that difficult
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I actually find $50 much easier to win than, for instance, $10.

I think the reason why is that at $10 it's likely you and nine people who don't have a clue what they are doing; every one of them plays almost every hand, and on any given flop one of those idiots turns **** into gold. At the $50 tables, it's generally people who at least have a clue, so you at least have a better idea of what they have when they are playing--no one is holding J-7 offsuit, like at the $10 tables.

Comment

Yeah, that's obviously true. But playing at 10$ just means that you play fundamentals poker. Bet when you have a good hand, fold when you don't.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You called the all-in with a guy who had that much chips? With pocket 8's? I mean.. well the flop was OK for you but.. basically what you had to worry was the possible flush, three of a kind (4) and possible ace, king etc in the turn card and river but I assume this is the moment he went all-in? You don't play very conservatively.. ? I mean, I'm no one to say what a good strategy is but seems awfully risky to me, even when the chances are he needs higher pocket pair but still.. I never go all-in or call someone in all-in situation unless I have at least jacks as pocket pair. I feel like deuces are the crappiest cards you can get aside 3-7 and the likes.

Anyway, congrats, and yeah without knwoing the cards the odds were for you but.. still what a risky move at that point of the game!!!! CRAZY MAN! I guess it's safe to say I play only tight and move in much later on.. unless I have a very short stack that is.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's not an awful call, depending on what was in the pot and how much the guy had left to raise.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The way he and I had bet up to that point, I figured I had a little better than a 50-50 chance. There was no way he was holding A-4 or A-6 suited, and the odds of him having pocket 4s or 6s were remote. I put him on something like AK, AQ, or KQ, but I knew there was a real chance that he had a better pocket pair. If I had won the hand, it would've given me almost 3x as many chips and anyone else in the tournament. C'est la vie.

And KH: hell, I usually win the $50 tables playing fundamental. It's the $10 tables that kill me playing like that--I'll play A-J, flop comes rainbow J-10-8, and some yahoo with 9-7 off or J-8 off or some other ridiculous **** will take me down. Play patient, smart, simple poker at the $50 tables, and you'll make money. Do that at the $10 tables, and you'll put a brick through your monitor.

Comment

I don't think that playing simple at 50$ level is, in general, a good idea.

I make a hell of a lot more plays there, and that's what wins me money.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X