No announcement yet.

Best NON-SF/Fantasy Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that my vanity search bait has caught the intended prey.

Thought you'd like seeing this thread, Asher.

Comment

I've given up trying to figure out what my favorite novels are, so I'll just talk about some good recent ones I've read.

I just finished The Known World by Edward Jones. The novel centers around a black slave-owner who dies in 1855, with a Tolstoyan cast of characters. Explores the nature of power, particularly how society reinforces dominant power relationships. A really good read, but quite dense.

Prior to that, I'd read A Bend in the River by V S Naipaul. Based on an East African of South Asian descent, whose world is crumbling due to colonial upheaval, and sets up shop in the Belgian Congo (Zaire) just after independence. Goes on Naipaul's usual themes of isolation, colonialism and independence, etc. Excellent as Naipaul usually is.

And before that, Middlesex Jefferey Eugenides. It's a family history of Greek immigrants to the US. Similar to Midnights' Children or A Hundred Years of Solitude, but not of their caliber. Still a fine novel.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

One of my favorite novels.

I'm particularly fond of the Rooskies: Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Pushkin, etc.
        Yea, it's amazing that the Russians had virtually no literature until the 18th century, and by the 19th they arguably had the best in the world.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
          what about Gogol... the Ukrainian semi-fantasist surrealist?
          One of the great pleasures of my college education was having my Russian lit professor read Gogol out loud to the class. If you were late to that class you had no chance at getting a seat, there were always more people attending than were officially enrolled.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
            I did another google search on a whim and found that Michael Jackson lives in a mansion with 16 bathrooms.

Is there something you'd like to share with us, Kuci?
            Not a bathroom I suspect.

Comment

I'm starting Lost Illusions by Balzac. The theme of the books is promising
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

One of the great pleasures of my college education was having my Russian lit professor read Gogol out loud to the class. If you were late to that class you had no chance at getting a seat, there were always more people attending than were officially enrolled.
                Sikander- that's great- I would have loved being in that class!
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  If youre comfortable reading English, you should try reading him in the original. In Honourable Schoolboy, theres a certain amount of interplay between the British and Americans, and the different national (and class -yes among the Americans too) dialects is something he uses to establish charecter, and that would likely be lost.
                  I've just started Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in the original english. It's hard work for someone who'se second language is North American english.
                  There obviously are certain Brit expressions that are harder to get on the first read, but i'm getting more familiar with them now. And it does add a lot of flavour.
                  I don't envy the translators task.
                  What?

Comment

Yea, it's amazing that the Russians had virtually no literature until the 18th century, and by the 19th they arguably had the best in the world.

It's particularly interesting considering that Russian literacy wasn't all that impressive during this period.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Just for fun, has anyone else here considered assembling a list of the 100 greatest novels according to Apolytoners much like the AFI does with its movies, or the literary associations come out with every few years?
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

Sikander- that's great- I would have loved being in that class!
                        Too bad there weren't more like it. The professor was actually the father of one of my friends from high school soccer, but I never actually got to know him at all until I took that class. He read quite a bit out loud with masterful comic tension and amazing inflection that showcased the irony and absurdity of the stories. He read a bonus piece by an Italian author titled "Gogol's Wife" which was one of the more hilarious bits I've ever heard. Check it out if you happen upon it, it's short and sweet. Apparantly the author was a friend or colleague of Gogol when he was in exile.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

It's particularly interesting considering that Russian literacy wasn't all that impressive during this period.
                          Yes, it was really a tiny subset of the population that produced it, though their actions undoubtedly helped to increase those numbers by giving people of more mundane means a reason to learn to read. A similar Golden Age happened with Russian composers at around the same time.

Comment

edit: oops, wrong thread.
                            Last edited by MosesPresley; July 20, 2005, 21:18.
                            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Working...
                            X