Best NON-SF/Fantasy Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best NON-SF/Fantasy Novels

Something's wrong with you people. Nearly every book thread is about sci-fi or fantasy. That'd be understandable if there weren't more than a handful of truly great writers in these genres, but there ain't. Sorry, but them's the facts.

So this thread's for your Nabokovs, Faulkners, Naipauls, etc.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Oh, what the hell.

Atlas Shrugged.

Comment

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Best NON-SF/Fantasy Novels

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

That's because most people here are nerds
          Attached Files
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Presumed Innocent - Scott Turow
            Pleading Guilty - Scott Turow
            The Russia House - John LeCarre
            What?

Comment

I liked Absalom Absalom a lot

also War and Peace

and Youth (spelling?)

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I love Robert Musil's The Man Without Qualities. Amazing, amazing book. Here's a site about Musil, for those of you who haven't heard of him:

Last edited by Nostromo; July 8, 2005, 14:00.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' James Joyce.

A book which can strengthen your Catholic faith, or weaken it- and one which I return to, often.

'What Maisie Knew' Henry James.

One of the best portrayals of life seen through a child's eyes- and the effects of the callous indifference of adults on youth.

And two items which don't exactly qualify as novels, but definitely should be in-

Daniel Defoe's spare and haunting 'Journal of the Plague Year' and Jonathan Swift's still biting satire, 'Gulliver's Travels'.

If only Reagan had read Voyage Three, to the floating island of Laputa, where they carried out pointless scientific pursuits, such as trying to extract sunbeams from cucumbers.....
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe

Lord of the Flies, William Golding

The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne

Bless Me, Ultima

John Grisham is also certainly a great fiction writer of today.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                      John Grisham is also certainly a great fiction writer of today.

If you want courtroom drama, Turow is the man to read. Grisham isn't 1/10 the writer that Turow is IMO.
                      What?

Comment

I liked Absalom Absalom a lot
                        I'll second that jon! Though the only reason I enjoyed it was that I read 3 summaries of it before I read the pages- if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have known what the *@(# was going on
                        ----

Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe

Lord of the Flies, William Golding

The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne
                        ...May I please inquire How those are your favorites and why?
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Anything by Michael Crichton.

Actually, I really don't read any fiction EXCEPT Michael Crichton...
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I'll second that jon! Though the only reason I enjoyed it was that I read 3 summaries of it before I read the pages- if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have known what the *@(# was going on
                            I was utterly confused when I read The Sound and the Fury, especially the first chapter.

Comment

I'm convinced that it's impossible to enjoy Faulkner without either reading summaries or rereading his novels twice
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X