This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thorgal
    I read somewhere that IF they act again in next days (maybe they blew themselve up yesterday) it is highly unlikely that the targets will be tube and buses again, too difficult. Maybe some easy targets like train rails in open field (like they tried in Madrid some days after Atocha) or something like that.

All they have to do is carry a shopping bag from a supermarket, as I did tonight coming home. They could easily have an explosive device hidden in it.

Nobody checked it because that's what hundreds of thousands of people carry after they leave work and head home.

The perils of a free society....
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
      You defeat terror by recognising that they win when you alter your life to suit their tactics.

Good on ya Brits. The great thing about the Brit culture is its ability to say we not going to let you get to us. Carry on with life.

The Brits showed his during the Blitz, during the IRA bombings, I'm sure they'll do it again.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

• I think it is silly not to change your behavior at all, the government must adapt, but the way people live their lives and spend their free time shouldn't change because of this.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
          You defeat terror by recognising that they win when you alter your life to suit their tactics.
          So if the British ignore the attack and go to work as if nothing happened, they win? You can't ignore the deaths of 50+ innocent people.

Ignoring terrorism will not defeat it! Destroying terrorism will defeat it!
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• Originally posted by The diplomat

You can't ignore the deaths of 50+ innocent people.
            Why not? We're all doing that on an hourly basis. (less, even)
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• For the average London commuter destroying terrorism isn't really possible, living your life as before is. By continuing to commute into and around London as before I deny their actions the goal that they seek - fear and restrictions.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• I guess this will be post number 500

Instead of having this thread closed and a new one started, we will just let this one go.

Remember... no trolling, put politics in the other thread, and be civil.

Carry on.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• EDIT: I forgot I wasn't in the "politics" thread.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by The diplomat

So if the British ignore the attack and go to work as if nothing happened, they win? You can't ignore the deaths of 50+ innocent people.

Defiantly continuing with your life is not "ignoring" anything. It's a gigantic "**** you" to those trying to disrupt our lives and terrorise us.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• I think there has also been a certain sense of inevitability of this happening though under the current circumstances. However I think it is important that we are not deterred from going about our normal lives...the transportation problems wouldn't affect me from going into London and I shall be in there on Sunday (I was going to see if Dauphin fancied a drink tonight earlier on in the week, the main thing that deterred me was the fact that I was absolutely exhausted from all the driving people home yesterday).

Things will be back next to normal in no time, although I am curious how long it will take to get those tube stations back up and running...I presume they will pull out all the stops this weekend to get it working...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• So if the British ignore the attack and go to work as if nothing happened, they win? You can't ignore the deaths of 50+ innocent people.

Rubbish. The way to defeat terrorism is not to panic, and invade countries claiming it's a war. It's not a war because we're against rag-bag common murderers.

The way is to not panic, but to remember who you are.

Comment

• There were four American injured. Interestingly enough (to me, if not anybody else), 1/2 of them came from my neck of the woods:

Tennessee sisters injured in London bombings
                          Family: 'Both girls are alert and talkative'

Friday, July 8, 2005; Posted: 5:18 p.m. EDT (21:18 GMT)

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Two sisters injured when a bomb exploded behind them in a London subway car were recovering at a hospital Friday, one with shrapnel wounds in her back and neck and the other undergoing a second surgery on her feet, their family said Friday.

In all, four Americans were among the more than 700 people injured when a series of explosions targeted three subway stations and a double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, State Department spokesman Tom Casey said.

Two Americans were treated for injuries and released, and two remained hospitalized Friday, Casey said. He provided no further details, citing privacy regulations.

Sisters Kathleen "Katie" Benton, 21, and Emily Benton, 20, were both alert and talkative and were to be moved to a semi-private room Friday so they could be together, their family said on a Web site for Fellowship Church in Knoxville, Tenn.

"They were going to spend a week together, hanging out and sightseeing," said Alan Ramsey, a youth minister who spoke with the sisters' parents. "That was day one of their trip."

Katie Benton had been in Kenya on a school-related trip and Emily Benton flew to London to meet her, Ramsey said.

The bomb blast left Emily Benton with some broken bones and skin missing on her feet. She had surgery Thursday and another operation Friday, Ramsey said. Katie Benton had shrapnel wounds.

The sisters were traveling alone during their summer break from college, their father, Dudley Benton, told The Associated Press. The young women's mother, Patty Benton, arrived in London early Friday.

Katie Benton is a student at the University of Tennessee, and Emily is a student at Pellissippi State Technical Community College in Knoxville.

Comment

• Our small pitch in.

[22:01:37] Topic for #civirc: CivIRC - In memoriam London 7.7.2005
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

• There was one Australian over there who was lucky enough to also be on holidays in Bali when it got attacked. Solve terrorism: prevent this guy from going on holidays.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• I just found out my cousin was in London staying somewhere in the Russell Square. By the time the bombings started, she already left for the airport by 20 minutes prior. glad she was not among the casualties.

My thoughts are with those who knew someone who was part of this as well as those involved.
                                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                                X