DSL Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Prices

I have curiosity to know whatever pay by your connection to Internet, in Spain the connections to Internet are very expensive, for example, I pay by DSL 512Kb/256Kb, no limit, 40€ per month, Telefonica company. Unloading a maximum file to 54Kbps.

25 MB website space.
    4 * 25MB mailboxes.
    Last edited by el mencey; July 6, 2005, 19:09.

DSL 384/64 bandwidth with only 2 GB of traffic included: about 20€. Plus, the phone line subscription is 10€. This is the slowest and cheapest package, and it's over 30€/month. The real tragedy is that the average monthly salary is 500€, which makes telecommunications here prohibitively expensive.

(Hrvatski telekom, a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom)
    Last edited by VetLegion; July 6, 2005, 18:40.

Comment

I pay about $50 per month for
      3MB down 512Kbps up - no total traffic limits
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I've never even heard of traffic limits. All of you guys live in dark ages. STEP INTO THE LIGHT!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: DSL Prices

Originally posted by el mencey
          I have curiosity to know whatever pay by your connection to Internet, in Spain the connections to Internet are very expensive, for example, I pay by DSL 512KB 40€ Telefonica company. Unloading a maximum file to 54KB.
          If I look to Austria: 768/128 and a 5GB download limit (yeah you read correctly) for 50 Euros a month. Plus 16 Euros for the telephone line.
          It's amazing how expensive it is there. 40 Euros / month is about the minimum if you aren't satisfied with 400MB(!!!!) download limit. They are crazy.

And in Spain, I am downloading how much I want and there are offers:
          2Mbit + 24h free nationals calls + a free configurable wireless router for about 30 Euros a month.

Ofc you need to live in one of the "special zones" (you can check by entering your phone number).

I am currently having 512/128, unlimited download, the router, free national calls for 34 Euros a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            I've never even heard of traffic limits. All of you guys live in dark ages. STEP INTO THE LIGHT!
            Tell that the austrian telecom....
            I've done so, but they don't listen.

You can't imagine, I was once even part of a platform and helped paying for several press releases to bring the austrian telecom to change the limits. This was in the beginning of ADSL and you could just go with a 1GB download limit (after which you had to pay 7cent per MB). Needless to say that 1GB was too little and that the price was too high.
            After some time (I don't remember how long) of campaigning they introduced a 4GB limit and we were pretty satisfied, because we were at the best hoping for 2 or 3GB. Still the product is somewhat stupid because they simply cut your line for the rest of the month when you downloaded more than 4.5GB. But well we couldn't get much more money and our group was called crazy lunatics, because obviously if you want to download something you don't have a life and what not... people are stupid.

Unfortunately if you don't live in an urban area, where other companies have their own lines, you are bound to the telecom or their resellers.

Nowadays it's still **** if you live in the countryside, but at least there are alternatives in the cities. Of course it's still far from cheap.
            Last edited by Atahualpa; July 6, 2005, 18:44.

Comment

haeheaaheehahae so expensive it's hilarious

BEsides, wtf is up with the quotas anyway? it would be justice if you downloaded 1 gigabyte of music, you would also get slained for doing so

You people are oppressed.. but I guess you don't deserve faster speed and lower price since you're not fighting for it.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

You people are oppressed.. but I guess you don't deserve faster speed and lower price since you're not fighting for it.
                Read my post again I edited....

Comment

3 Mbit down
                  0.75 Mbit up
                  No data limit
                  5 * 500 MB mailboxes
                  200 MB website space
                  Access to one of the world's larger newsservers

All for 60 euros per month. It's on the expensive side for Dutch standards, but the service is fast and reliable

Comment

You people are oppressed..
                    True!

but I guess you don't deserve faster speed and lower price since you're not fighting for it.
                    Also true

It's not that we're not hating them enough, but we're not doing enough. For example, I only got this crappy ADSL two months ago and I am SO HAPPY I am off dial-up I can't begin to describe it.

Truth is, I deserve mora bang for my buck. For example, in Deutschland DT which owns our national operator is giving 1024/512 flat rate for 15€/month! So, the same company is charging Germans (who are three times richer then we are) half the price they charge us

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                      Truth is, I deserve mora bang for my buck. For example, in Deutschland DT which owns our national operator is giving 1024/512 flat rate for 15€/month! So, the same company is charging Germans (who are three times richer then we are) half the price they charge us
                      And german telecom owns the lines in hrvatska as they do in germany?

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

And german telecom owns the lines in hrvatska as they do in germany?
                        Unfortunately, yes. This is not their fault, but one of our corrupt politicians who privatised the company, took provisions and left the rest of us in the crapper.

The really sad thing is that prior to sale HT was profitable and already had a very good optical infrastructure in the entire country - the infrastructure investment of DT needed to provide ADSL services was minimal, and yet we only got it this year

Comment

yeah it's when big ISP dominates regions, this is what happens. You need more ISPs, even small ones. It happened in here, and prices started coming down.

Like in one big region, there was only one ISP, and it had different prices for that region since they were the only one in there, so the price for the same services were much higher. Normal stuff. But then came small ISP, offering WLAN tech, with half the price and double the speed. WHat happened? Everyone started lowering their prices, since everyone was getting the WLAN option, making the small ISP a good business. They still are growing in the region. People from neighbouring areas actually demanded that the small ISP expands to their region as well. It was easy killings for the small ISP.

First off, you need to get rid of the quota thing. Then lower the prices. It's done by getting competition first, and then accusing the big ISP for monopoly situation, since they own all the lines etc and are not playing it to the rules. They drop the prices first to make chewbacca defense, but at the end, if you guys have laws and justice, they will come down to reasonable levels like the rest of the world.

When you want to look at how internet connections are done, Sweden is good example. You can get kickass connections for very little money, I'm talking about T1, T3 etc, and paying less than your DSLs. This would naturally not cover all areas of the country, however the gov took an active role in networking the country, since it is seen as vital and necessary, and in the future the importance of it grows ever more, so why not do it now than later when it gets more expensive when done fast and in panic.

It's simple you need more ISPs. Even small ones. To fight one ISP to lower their prices won't really work if there's no choice.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Still the product is somewhat stupid because they simply cut your line for the rest of the month when you downloaded more than 4.5GB.

Do you mean they stopped you from downloading or they actually cut you off from the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                              3 Mbit down
                              0.75 Mbit up
                              No data limit
                              5 * 500 MB mailboxes
                              200 MB website space
                              A bit much for personal use?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X