What the heck is this crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

The thread was started based on the content of the article, not the birth place of the author.

When I went on about complacency, it was only indirectly related to the OP. I suppose the only mistake I made was in not explicitly making it know that I wasn't just picking on Canadians.
    But you used someone you assumed to be Canadian as a whipping boy for what you feel is wrong with our country.

Your problem is both that the boy was not a Canuck AND that we already whip ourselves plenty over just the same issues you touch on.

Treatment of Amerindians? OUCH!

The treatement Canadian citizens of Japanese descent during WW2? OUCH!

The treatment of Chinese imigrants, which by the way you have all wrong and your dates are totally FUBAR? OUCH!

Other things that you apparently don't have a clue about, like Jewish refugees from Germany before WW2? OUCH!

etc., etc.

Believe me, Jimmy, Canada has guilt developed to a fine point. We do not need some holier than thou, and wrong, Yank telling us how to conduct the orchestra of shame.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Here's some advice guys:

Go back to OP, pick it apart, then tell me why I'm wrong in making the assumption that attitudes such as these are not conducive to fostering complacency towards wrongful actions of the past. Prove to me that all is being to done curb this kind of complacency. Otherwise, you're just trolling.
      DUH! They're NOT CANADIAN ATTITUDES?

Are you really dumber than a sack of hammers?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
        Jimmy is right. NYE and KH are the smuggest people on Apolyton.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)

Comment

• Ya smug git.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

• It's hard not to be smug when you're Canadian...

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

But you used someone you assumed to be Canadian as a whipping boy for what you feel is wrong with our country.

Your problem is both that the boy was not a Canuck AND that we already whip ourselves plenty over just the same issues you touch on.
                I wouldn't care if it was written by a robot. It makes no difference. My beef with him is that I've read his work before and frankly didn't expect some nationalist ode **** fest. I expected better. Its the sort of crap I would have expected from the Globe and Mail, not Counterpunch.

Treatment of Amerindians? OUCH!

The treatement Canadian citizens of Japanese descent during WW2? OUCH!

The treatment of Chinese imigrants, which by the way you have all wrong and your dates are totally FUBAR? OUCH!

Other things that you apparently don't have a clue about, like Jewish refugees from Germany before WW2? OUCH!

etc., etc.
                Because I didn't mention it, I obviously didn't have a clue.

Believe me, Jimmy, Canada has guilt developed to a fine point. We do not need some holier than thou, and wrong, Yank telling us how to conduct the orchestra of shame.
                If guilty is how you're feeling then clearly guilt isn't a strong enough emotion for what I want. I want the discussion to move beyond "ouch!, that sucked... now lets celebrate that we're at least not as bad as Nazi Germany". Thats complacent crap.

Comment

• Its the sort of crap I would have expected from the Globe and Mail, not Counterpunch.

Wait,

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Let's not forget that while Canadians celebrate "Canada Day" on July 1st, Chinese-Canadians are observing Humiliation Day. On July 1st 1923, A head-tax of $500 was put on Chinese immigrants, and was only lifted in the late 1940s. Five hundred dollars back then was the equivalent of two houses - or half a million dollars today.
                    First off, the humiliation started in 1885 when the government imposed a $50 head tax. It was raised in 1903 to $500, not 1923.

What happened in 1923 was an Exclusion Act, which barred entry altogether, no matter the price paid.

How are we doing so far on being clueless about humiliation? Are you following?

What a great tribute to the people who built the "National Dream". For every kilometre of the Canadian Pacific Railway built between Calgary and Vancouver a Chinese labourer died.
                    Uhmmm, these weren't the same people, you know? The originial CPR workers were Chinese who came from California. Must have been a real hoot for them there to want to come to Canada to build a railroad with their blood and bones.

Are you tracking now?

Do you have the first clue as to what happened to whom and when it happened?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

If guilty is how you're feeling then clearly guilt isn't a strong enough emotion for what I want. I want the discussion to move beyond "ouch!, that sucked... now lets celebrate that we're at least not as bad as Nazi Germany". Thats complacent crap.
                      All I can say, and I think I can say this on behalf of most of the people of Canada, is go shoot what you think we should do up yer butt.

We're not your whipping people to take out the frustrations of your own inadequacies back home.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                        How are we doing so far on being clueless about humiliation? Are you following?
                        Incidently. How did you get the value of the money right when you were wrong on the years by 20 to 40?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

• Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh [Have you heard of David Warren - lead columnist of the Ottawa Citizen, or the entire National Post?]

Oh. So now an entire newspaper is the Canadian equivalent of Rush Limbaugh.

I knew what I was walking into, but again, I was hoping the blatherer would be induced by a sense of dignity to call it quits after he had his shorts pulled over his head the first time, but NOOOOOOO....

Jimmy comes back for more. What a champ!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

• [what about Haiti and Afghanistan, *******?]

What about Haiti and Afghanistan?

In the second case we were treaty bound to lend assistance to an ally attacked, just like the rest of NATO, and then we are bound to stay and clean up the mess. What have we done wrong now?

As for Haiti, just what do you have against Canadian military units being used to prevent the disintegration of civil order in a poor country? Is it that they are black? You think we should leave them to stew in their juices? I know! Maybe we should let them get a good Rwanda going. That way we could feel more guilt!

WTF are you talking about when you say 'what about Haiti and Afghanistan, *******?'???

We're really puzzled.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• Jimmy? The light's gone out Jimmy. Please tell us that you were serious about you wanting us to take you serious. It will break our hearts if you let us down.

Jimmy?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

• And the piece de résistance. Jimmy, you're a real hoot. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We have no genuinely dangerous public figures like Tom Delay or Donald Rumsfeld [What about our Prime Minister, or Stephen Harper, Mike Harris, Gordon Campbell - do I need to go on?].

Yes. Yes, you need to go on. You need to explain how anyone right of Mao on the Canadian political landscape (that would be everyone, Jimmy) is eqivalent to you as Delay and Rumsfeld are to a very bitter, and very disaffected American.

Please, show us the light, Jimmy!
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X