What the heck is this crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Let's summarise this thread, from the time Jimmy leaves the US to the present moment:

Jimmy immigrates to Canada. This leaves him feeling slightly traitorous, although he can at least pacify himself with the knowledge that Canada is barely a sovereign nation, and envies the US greatly.

Jimmy spends the next 5 years finding out that Canadians do not envy the US, and have a slightly different version of the war of 1812.

GW wins the 2001 elections. Canadians are, understandably, tickled pink that Americans would do something that stupid to themselves. Jimmy grows annoyed at what he views as Canada's smug sense of superiority, further fueling his inferiority complex.

GW continues his muddleheaded presidency. Canada pretends not to be home when he calls concerning possible Canadian involvement in Iraq. He's confused by Chrétien's bilingual doublespeak on the answering machine, and leaves a poorly worded message about liking maple syrup. Jimmy is hotly embarrassed when Lloyd Roberts plays the tape on the air the next day. He starts his Tim Horton voodoo doll. Tim, having been dead for 30 years, is none the worse for wear. Jimmy's is infuriated at his own impotence.

GW is reelected. Canadians feel that the joke is wearing a bit thin, and start to feel sorry for their benighted southern neighbours. Jimmy is driven into a frenzy. In his heart he agrees with them, but pride ties a knot in his stomach.

Jimmy wakes up in the morning and decides to peruse CounterPunch as a reliable source of news and views (?)

Jimmy reads an article by an expat (?) American excoriating the US and sucking Canada's dick. Jimmy decides that this is indicative of the average Canadian's ignorance of historical fact and tendency toward jingoism.

Jimmy posts thread lambasting Canadians for being ignorant, chauvinist nationalists.

It is quickly pointed out to him that the author of the article is American, and that the average Canadian is, in fact, well aware of his country's faults.

Jimmy spins off into madness brought on by once more having been pwn3d by a mere Canuck.
    You can write my authorized biography.

But nice attempt at character assasination by the way. I'm glad to see you chose to use your time writing that little story instead of proving any of your points.

But thanks again for offering the Heritage Moment anecdote. You've really contrubuted to this thread.

Comment

Can you prove anything you've said about Canadian attitudes, Jimmy?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As NYE said, you're fading quickly into relativism here.

"I've been wrecked on any objective measure of this argument, so I'll just say that I have a right to my opinion"
        KH, if you honestly disagree with me, what else is there to say?

And how might one objectively measure something as abstract and fickle as 30 million people's opinion in any kind of meaningful way?

Comment

Indeed. It started off ignorant and uninformed.

I just made it huomourously so.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            Can you prove anything you've said about Canadian attitudes, Jimmy?
            In a way that satisfies you? Apparantly not.

Can you do the same for me?

Comment

An American apostate annoys an American chauvinist and he takes it out on Canadians.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

KH, if you honestly disagree with me, what else is there to say?

And how might one objectively measure something as abstract and fickle as 30 million people's opinion in any kind of meaningful way?
                Once more, "I'm entitled to my opinion LALALALALA"

If you had a point to make then make it. Show me why you feel that Canadians are full of themselves.

It's a little bit sad how obvious your feelings of inadequacy are in this thread.

There's a lot of great things about the US, jimmy. You don't have to be ashamed of originating there.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

In a way that satisfies you? Apparantly not.

Can you do the same for me?
                  Well, you've offered nothing that would satisfy anyone, outside of your venom.

Do you have anything other than your rant and the words of a guy from Chicago?

And asking me to prove something as NOT being the case is a real smooth move... for a turnip.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

An American apostate annoys an American chauvinist and he takes it out on Canadians.

Not Canadians, everyone everywhere - I believe there's too much complacency.

I happened to use Canadians in this thread because the thread was -duh- about Canada.

Comment

• You mean the thread was started on mistaken assumptions about the nationality of an author?

That was your mistake, wasn't it, Jimmy?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• He'll never admit that he was mistaken, or that he reacted overly strongly, or that perhaps there's a reason buried deep in his psyche why he did so.

That takes intellectual honesty.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                          You mean the thread was started on mistaken assumptions about the nationality of an author?

That was your mistake, wasn't it, Jimmy?
                          The thread was started based on the content of the article, not the birth place of the author.

When I went on about complacency, it was only indirectly related to the OP. I suppose the only mistake I made was in not explicitly making it know that I wasn't just picking on Canadians.

Once more, "I'm entitled to my opinion LALALALALA"
                          Of course its my opinion, what else would it be?

And asking me to prove something as NOT being the case is a real smooth move... for a turnip.
                          Sorry, I thought that was standard procedure in begging to differ with someone.

Comment

• And just to recap, I've been arguing that people (Canadians in this instance) are complacent regarding the darker periods of their history.

KH and NYE: No they're not.

Thats a MENSA response if I ever heard one.

Comment

• Jimmy is right. NYE and KH are the smuggest people on Apolyton.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Here's some advice guys:

Go back to OP, pick it apart, then tell me why I'm wrong in making the assumption that attitudes such as these are not conducive to fostering complacency towards wrongful actions of the past. Prove to me that all is being to done curb this kind of complacency. Otherwise, you're just trolling.

Comment

Working...
                                X