No announcement yet.

What the heck is this crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. Then I suppose much of what is said about the defeat of the British when the US gained independence is 'nationalistic, a-historical garbage'.
    And by the way, yes. Most of it is. This is changing though with more analytical authors like Howard Zinn increasingly being used to supplement high school US history text books - as was the case with me.

Comment

I thought this thread was aimed at idiot Canadians who thought our **** didn't stink, but oops, the idiot Canadian turned out to be a Yank.

Have a good, long, look, Jimmy. Bring us back the examples of Canadians thinking that there are no dark deeds in our past.

Honestly, Jimmy, where's your sense of pride? You launched a tirade on Canada and Canadians based on a false assumption of the nationality of a random moron who has discovered the internet and managed to get published. Your further denunciations after being shown that you were point blank wrong are just digging you deeper.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

And by the way, yes. Most of it is. This is changing though with more analytical authors like Howard Zinn increasingly being used to supplement high school US history text books - as was the case with me.
        I see. So you wish to deny that nations should pay attention to where they came from and who and what bumps they overcame along the road?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As a product of the FAR-from-perfect (so incredibly far...) Alberta school system, I have to say that our social studies classes never failed to focus on issues like residential schools and interning the Japanese. So I think it's a stretch to say that nobody is informed of these atrocities.

And this was in Alberta, for god's sake!
          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

I'm arguing that Canada's record is no worse than other like-countries, but certainly no better either.

And this is the part of your spiel where I gag.

You want to use some kind of relativistic mumbo-jumbo to get your own stared and stripped ass off the hook. For what, Jimmy?

You alone are not responsible for the massacres of the plains Indians. You alone are not responsible for the use of nuclear weapons. You alone are not responsible for Mai Lai. You alone are not responsible for Iraq, etc., etc., etc.

But you are responsible for attempting to paint others as being guilty as sin to match the pitch black nature of the American soul (in your eyes). If you like the gutter so much, live in it, but don't try to drag everyone else down to your level of hell.

You are the anti-Chuckman. Both of you are distorting reality to suit your own ideological ends, but you approach it in different ways. He calls down the US in comparison to his new found ****-don't-stink land, while you call down your new home to make it stink as much as the swamp you think you left behind. Same ****. Different reaction.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              I thought this thread was aimed at idiot Canadians who thought our **** didn't stink, but oops, the idiot Canadian turned out to be a Yank.
              This bit doesn't really make any sense. And what exactly does my country of birth have to do with anything? Please, do tell.

Have a good, long, look, Jimmy. Bring us back the examples of Canadians thinking that there are no dark deeds in our past.
              Ok, clearly you trailed somewhere along the line in reading this thread and lost track of whats going on. I'll sum up by asking you a few questions:

A. Do you believe that Canada has dark periods in its past?

B. Do you believe that not all is being done (or that more can be done) to raise awareness of these periods?

C. Do you believe that any wrong actions of Canada in the past have ever been removed (intentionally or not) from public attention in order to foster a benign view of Canada?

If you answered yes to these questions then we have no argument and its apparent that you clearly haven't been reading my posts. On the other hand if you answered no, then why don't you go stick your head back in the sand.

Honestly, Jimmy, where's your sense of pride? You launched a tirade on Canada and Canadians based on a false assumption of the nationality of a random moron who has discovered the internet and managed to get published.
              His nationality is irrelevent. What is relevent is that the views and opinions in his article are all too typical and serve to paint an illegitimate and undeservingly saintly portait of this country. If you disagree on this point, thats fine... but I don't know what else to say to you.

Your further denunciations after being shown that you were point blank wrong are just digging you deeper.
              You don't even fully understand my argument, how could you possibly prove me "point blank wrong"? In fact you haven't even attempted to offer one shred of evidence to the contrary.

Get over yourself, you're making an argument where there is none.
              Last edited by JimmyCracksCorn; July 5, 2005, 02:01.

Comment

I'm arguing that Canada's record is no worse than other like-countries, but certainly no better either.

And this is the part of your spiel where I gag.

You want to use some kind of relativistic mumbo-jumbo to get your own stared and stripped ass off the hook. For what, Jimmy?

You alone are not responsible for the massacres of the plains Indians. You alone are not responsible for the use of nuclear weapons. You alone are not responsible for Mai Lai. You alone are not responsible for Iraq, etc., etc., etc.

But you are responsible for attempting to paint others as being guilty as sin to match the pitch black nature of the American soul (in your eyes). If you like the gutter so much, live in it, but don't try to drag everyone else down to your level of hell.

You are the anti-Chuckman. Both of you are distorting reality to suit your own ideological ends, but you approach it in different ways. He calls down the US in comparison to his new found ****-don't-stink land, while you call down your new home to make it stink as much as the swamp you think you left behind. Same ****. Different reaction.
                You've failed. Re-read the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
                  As a product of the FAR-from-perfect (so incredibly far...) Alberta school system, I have to say that our social studies classes never failed to focus on issues like residential schools and interning the Japanese. So I think it's a stretch to say that nobody is informed of these atrocities.

And this was in Alberta, for god's sake!
                  Thats a good thing. I'm not claiming that nothing has been done to raise awareness, I'm just arguing that not all has been done and that in fact more can be done.

Comment

This bit doesn't really make any sense. And what exactly does my country of birth have to do with anything? Please, do tell.
                    Deep in de Nile. There's dangerous crocs there, you know.

Ok, clearly you trailed somewhere along the line in reading this thread and lost track of whats going on. I'll sum up by asking you a few questions:

A. Do you believe that Canada has dark periods in its past?

B. Do you believe that not all is being done (or that more can be done) to raise awareness of these periods?

C. Do you believe that any wrong actions of Canada in the past have been removed (intentionally or not) from public attention in order to foster a benign view of Canada?

If you answered yes to these questions then we have no argument and its apparent that you clearly haven't been reading my posts. On the other hand if you answered no, then why don't you go stick your head back in the sand.
                    Your muliple choice exam lacks an option.

D. Jimmy has burst a blood vessel due to harsh and unfair criticism of the US as compared to Canada... which turns out to have been written by an American.

I'll choose D for $100, Alex.

His nationality is irrelevent. What is relevent is that the views and opinions in his article are all too typical and serve to paint an illegitimate and undeservingly saintly portait of this country. If you disagree on this point, thats fine... but I don't know what else to say to you.
                    No, his nationality is not irrelevant. I knew within the first 5 lines of your OP that the writer was not a Canuck, that is why I spent some time to find proof to back that up. You, however, fell for it.

The fact is they are NOT typical of Canadian views. That may be because they are NOT the views of a Canuck.

You don't even fully understand my argument, how could you possibly prove me "point blank wrong"? In fact you haven't even attempted to offer one shred of evidence to the contrary.

Get over yourself, you're making an argument where there is none.
                    You have no argument! Beyond the 'well, shucks yeah, maybe I was wrong in the OP, but you guys are still the sons of Satan (just to cover my butt).
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Thats a good thing. I'm not claiming that nothing has been done to raise awareness, I'm just arguing that not all has been done and that in fact more can be done.
                      No. You went off on an ignorant Canuck... who happened to be a Yank.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

You've failed. Re-read the thread.
                        You've failed. Re-read the last twenty years of Canadian public discourse.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

I'd like to congratulate all of you who were part of taking Jimmy behind the woodshed and spanking him.

Canada: pwning Yanks since 1812

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Deep in de Nile. There's dangerous crocs there, you know.

Your muliple choice exam lacks an option.
                            You answer yes or no, but nice attempt to evade the questions.

D. Jimmy has burst a blood vessel due to harsh and unfair criticism of the US as compared to Canada... which turns out to have been written by an American.

I'll choose D for $100, Alex.
                            Thats a funny one.

No, his nationality is not irrelevant. I knew within the first 5 lines of your OP that the writer was not a Canuck, that is why I spent some time to find proof to back that up. You, however, fell for it.
                            Ok, why does his nationality matter again?

The fact is they are NOT typical of Canadian views. That may be because they are NOT the views of a Canuck.
                            Oh, so Canadians never compare themselves favorably to the US? Chuckman's article doesn't sound familiar at all? What rock have you been living under?

You have no argument! Beyond the 'well, shucks yeah, maybe I was wrong in the OP, but you guys are still the sons of Satan (just to cover my butt).
                            Every point in the OP I made I still stand by... the fact that you think my argument regarded the nationality of the author doesn't say much for your comprehension skills.

Again, re-read the thread. As it stands you're putting words into my mouth and in the process sticking your own foot down yours.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              I'd like to congratulate all of you who were part of taking Jimmy behind the woodshed and spanking him.

Canada: pwning Yanks since 1812

Interesting coming from someone who agreed with most of the points I made in the OP.

Comment

Canada Day is nothing but the celebration of railroad tycoons and business owners forming a state to guarantee larger loans from London and New York.

You stand by that, sweet heart?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X