Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Grande Boucle

Ok, apparently I went over the two post limit, so here it is again

So the first stage is on Saturday. Its a 'contre-la-montre' time trial, the prologue of the tour. 19km of mostly flat. The racers start in Fromentine, in the department of la Vendée [Vallée de la Loire region] (if anyone took a French Revolution class, they had a strong counter revolutionnary movement and fought for the reimposition of the Capet dynasty)

The highest point is the bridge which the racers will cross from east to west to get onto the island and finish at Noirmoutier-en-l'ile. Last years winner of the prologue was the Swiss Fabien Cancellera from the Fasso Bartolo team, who was 0:02 faster then Lance Armstrong. (Cancellera is now on the Phonak team)

the weather is forcast to be cloudy with chance of rain. i believe last years prologue was also raced in the rain, but im not sure. the wind will be out of the west at around 20 kph, so the racers will be going into the wind.

In the US I think you can catch it on the Outdoor Life Network (OLN) but maybe the discovery channel might show it since they are sponsoring Lance Armstrongs team. (it would start at like 5 am or something.) In france you can catch it on TF1 or TF2, in Switzerland on TSR, and across europe on Eurosport.

UPDATE: Jan Ullrich crashed into his directors car on Friday while training and has sustained injury to his face and neck.

CHALLANS, France -- Germany's Jan Ullrich, the 1997 Tour de France winner, was injured in a freak training accident on the eve of the Tour's start but escaped mostly unhurt on Friday.

The 1997 Tour winner was training with his T-Mobile team when he failed to spot a warning to brake and slammed into the car's back window.

He sustained minor cuts and scratches to his neck, but will be OK to start Saturday's 11.8-mile time trial from Fromentine to Noirmoutier-en-l'Ile.

"He did not see the special sign we make when the car has to brake," T-Mobile press officer Luuc Eisenga said by telephone. "The window is smashed. But it's nothing serious. He'll be OK to start the race."

Ullrich hit the rear windscreen, which smashed into pieces, and suffered cuts near the throat.

The spokesman said the German, a five-time Tour runner-up, was treated by the team doctor, who said the bruises and cuts were only superficial.

The Tour starts Saturday with a 19-km time trial between Fromentine and Noirmoutier on Saturday.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

and here is the ESPN website for the tour de france

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

T-Mobile, Ullrichs team, has left behind the sprinter Erik Zabel in order to bring more muscle for the mountain stages to topple Armstrong. They've got both Andreas Kloden, 2nd last year, and Vinokourov, 3rd the year before. But Armstrong has still got Jose Azevedo and can also count on the help of Ivan Basso, his protege, from the CSC team, who came in third last year, and who can only do well if he wins on the mountain stages because he is a poor time trialer.

Iban Mayo, the basque, also figures to be in on the mix for mountain stage wins.

Comment

coverage starts at 8.30 am EST on OLN in the US. race is shown live at 11.30 am EST (could a euro confimr this? does it really start at 5 in the afternoon in France?)

Comment

Here's the timetqble, if you cqn figure it out.

The weather is now considerably milder. The first days (flat terrain and mild weather) should be fairly pleasant
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

La Grande Bouche?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

LANCE ARMSTRON SMASHES ULLRICH, passes him on the time trial. incredible. what a monster, what a dominator. the first time ever that ulrich has been passed on a time trial. hes already got everyone way behind him. he finished 2 seconds behind the winner, the american Zabrieski or something like that.

Basso, Mayo more then 2 minutes behind.

Comment

OLN coverage of the prologue sucked. they never showed anyones splits and only talked about the profiles of the racers.

Comment

Well. like Joop Zoetemelk (winner in 1980) would say: "Ach, de Tour is nog lang..."

Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

tomorrows stage is 181 km from Challens to Les Essarts. It runs along the coast for the first 100 kms. it has three sprints and a high crash risk on the approach to Les Essarts. guys like Robbie McEwen and Jacob Pill have a chance to win this stage.

Comment

i missed the time trial cuz i had to fly back to SD

Comment

South Dakota?
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Sahara Desert?
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Santo Domingo?
                            What?

Comment

San Diego

Comment

Working...
                              X