No announcement yet.

So...who's good with computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I tried to put the jumper on both the master and slave setting, but neither work...
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Maybe you find something you missed here?

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
        UR, I think Sn00py's right, the computer recognizes that it's there. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the enclosure kit...I'm not sure what else I should need to do.
        Okay, remove the driver first.

Go to device manager and find an Adaptec driver. USB seems to be a good place to start. When you find it, just remove it. Then reboot your computer. Windows should detect the hardware automatically and install an appropiate driver.

If that doesn't work, I say there's about a 90% chance it's a cable problem.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

@ Ozzy

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Okay, remove the driver first.

Go to device manager and find an Adaptec driver. USB seems to be a good place to start. When you find it, just remove it. Then reboot your computer. Windows should detect the hardware automatically and install an appropiate driver.

If that doesn't work, I say there's about a 90% chance it's a cable problem.
            Hmmm...I looked in the device manager and in the USBs, there's no Adaptec there...and I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I tried to just plug it in again...again no luck.

Comment

Do you have any kind of antivirus scanners running ? If so, then try to disable it. I have had some problems installing VC drivers and it was my virus scanner that was the headache.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

try uninstalling whatever you installed from the CD and then installing it after windows automatically picks it up.

also, check to see if you need to reformat the disk maybe

Comment

Mao,

Try the who contraption on a friend's computer, without the driver from the CD, to see if that's the problem.

Make sure he or she has Windows XP first.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Blackcat, the only thing I have is AVG Virus Scan, which I turned off before I tried installing anything.

Siro, the first time I tried to use the enclosure, I just plugged in the USB (this is all after formatting the hard drive on a friend's computer), and it didn't work, so then I put in the CD. It gives me a copy error message then a message saying that it installed successfully...I also can't find the driver now anywhere so I'm not sure what's going on.

UR, I did try the contraption on a friend's computer at first. He first formatted the hard drive on his desktop, so the hard drive seems fine because it formatted alright. When we tried the enclosure, however, his computer wouldn't recognize it either (both with and without the CD).

Comment

I suggest that you somehow send it in to Adaptec to get a new one. It seems the Kit or something with the kit (e.g. the cable that connects the HDD to the kit) is broken.

I don't know how you'd do that, but I guess you should ask at the store first.

Comment

I figured I'd go and exchange it from Best Buy or something...but it seems weird that the enclosure doesn't work since it is new and all...

Comment

Maybe you got a Monday-Device

Comment

Yes, I think you just got unlucky this time, Mao.

I have recently got a Lite-On DVD burner but it quickly deterioated to the point that I can hardly play DVDs now. So this kind of things do happen, just only rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Yes, I think you just got unlucky this time, Mao.

I have recently got a Lite-On DVD burner but it quickly deterioated to the point that I can hardly play DVDs now. So this kind of things do happen, just only rarely.
                              Just clearin' that up for everybody.

Comment

*shrug* Hmmm...alright...time for a return I guess...thanks all

Comment

Working...
                                X