So...who's good with computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...who's good with computers?

I figure here would be one of the best places to post a problem...

I recently purchased a 160 gig internal hard drive and a USB enclosure kit. I formatted the hard drive on a friend's desktop computer, so I'm pretty sure it works. However, when I place it into the enclosure kit and plug the ribbon and power source in and connect it to my laptop, I get in "installation error." The computer recognizes that a USB has been plugged in, but I guess doesn't know what it is. I've installed all the things from the installation CDs and such, so I would assume that shouldn't be a problem. I also have the hard drive on a slave setting as I plan to use it as a secondary hard drive. So...anyone know what's going on?

Now, let the "MAO-SIGHTING!!!" comments commence...but can anyone help?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Who is Mao?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Mao siting!

Comment

So...who's good with computers?

OzzyKP
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

that's great...so...no computer people around?

Comment

First Faded Glory returns from the dead, now Mao makes an appearance.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Check the following:

1. BIOS setting on your notebook
                2. The USB cable

Which Operating System are you using?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'm using Windows XP Professional. I don't think it's the BIOS necessarily because we tried on my friend's desktop too (with the enclosure kit) and it wouldn't recognize it on his computer either. I'm not quite sure how to check the USB cable, however, since I don't have another I can replace it with...

Comment

Welcome back, Mao. LTNS.

Comment

You may also need to tinker with the BIOS setting on your friend's computer too

Don't forget to make the the IDE cable is plugged in correctly. Usually that is not a problem, because the connectors are more or less one way nowadays.

When something goes wrong cable is always the first thing I check.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The USB cable is fine because you said it was recognising it was there.

Can you check for the latest drivers on your USB kit?
                        be free

Comment

John, yeah, how's it been around here?

UR, I think Sn00py's right, the computer recognizes that it's there. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the enclosure kit...I'm not sure what else I should need to do.

Comment

Ok what is the make and exact name of the kit?

The fact that it is 160gb could cause problems. Did you format it as NTFS?
                            be free

Comment

The kit itself is an Adaptec USB 2.0 hard drive Enclosure Kit that's supposed to be able to support hard drives larger than 137 gigs. I simply installed what was on the install CD from the enclosure kit, I'm not sure what NTFS stands for...haha

UR, what BIOS settings would I need for it to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X