• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So...who's good with computers?

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    OzzyKP

(I literally burst out laughing)

Oh, as to the OP! Faded Glory, our savior, has resurrected ANOTHER poster! First Dissident, then Fez, and now Mao! It's a mid summer MIRACLE!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Mao,

Is the harddisk SATA? (adaptecs site doesn't mention that it supports SATA).

edit: nvm, I just realised you said you plugged in the power.
      Last edited by FrostyBoy; July 1, 2005, 03:34.
      be free

Comment

Make sure its all plugged in, go into WinXP and go to Computer Management (Control Panel>Admin Tools>)

Look for the drive in there, then format it again. (Somewhere at some point it should ask you to map it to a drive letter, once this is all done, you should be ready to use it).
        be free

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
          John, yeah, how's it been around here?

UR, I think Sn00py's right, the computer recognizes that it's there. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the enclosure kit...I'm not sure what else I should need to do.
          Did you attach it before or after installing the drivers?

It's best with USB devices to install the drivers first.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Damn, Mao, Faded Glory, even Diss showed up for a little bit.

Who is next?
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Actually, since he is using WinXP, he doesn't need the USB drivers.
              be free

Comment

Mao, have you got any other USB devices?

If not, check to make sure USB is turned on in your BIOS.
                be free

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
                  I figure here would be one of the best places to post a problem...

I recently purchased a 160 gig internal hard drive and a USB enclosure kit. I formatted the hard drive on a friend's desktop computer, so I'm pretty sure it works. However, when I place it into the enclosure kit and plug the ribbon and power source in and connect it to my laptop, I get in "installation error." The computer recognizes that a USB has been plugged in, but I guess doesn't know what it is. I've installed all the things from the installation CDs and such, so I would assume that shouldn't be a problem. I also have the hard drive on a slave setting as I plan to use it as a secondary hard drive. So...anyone know what's going on?

Now, let the "MAO-SIGHTING!!!" comments commence...but can anyone help?
                  Look in the manual if the HDD needs to be jumpered master or simply try.

Comment

Sn00py, I have other USB devices in, and I unplugged them when I use the enclosure, so I assume my USB is turned on.

Ata, I've tried with the hard drive fixed to bother master and slave positions, neither work.
                    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Mao, try setting the drive jumper to CS (cable select.) If USB still doesn't "see" it, remove the ribbon cable & power cable from your CD drive & plug in the hard drive there, and see if it's detected when you boot up (trying to see if the prob is the drive or USB rig.) You don't have to mount the drive, just set it on a box next to the PC so it's not dangling from the cables.

Comment

How do I set it to CS? Also, I don't think I can really fit in the hard drive where my CD drive is as the opening in my laptop isn't big enough. I have a Dell Latitude D600 so the hard drive won't fit in anywhere...

Comment

Oh, it's a laptop drive. I thought it was a desktop.

How do you set it to either master or slave? It's usually a jumper on some pins. The CS option should be there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            OzzyKP
                            Why, oh, why didn't I post a bad geeky joke about Lisp in that thread while it was still open?
                            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                              Oh, it's a laptop drive. I thought it was a desktop.

How do you set it to either master or slave? It's usually a jumper on some pins. The CS option should be there as well.
                              Setting it to master/slave is that little plastic thingy that I can place in different places. I'm not sure what CS means...

Comment

On a normal drive there are usually about five sets of pins you can jumper (the little plastic thingie.) Do you have a schematic of the drive settings?

I have to leave for work now, so I won't be able to check the boards for a couple of hours. Good luck. I'll check back later.

Comment

Working...
                                X