No announcement yet.

Expensive Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid $35 in Zurich for 2 gin and freakin tonics. 10 YEARS ago!

That's like P1800, or 7 days pay for the mason/carpenter that was about to get his engineering degree in the Phils that we hired to build our house.

Europe is so damned spendy!
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
      Considering some of those places I'm surprised Indianapolis isn't on the list. It ain't that expensive, but it's gotta be more than most of those 3rd world cities...
      Very true. I can find you a place to stay in Manila for $5 a day. More if you want a pot to piss in though...
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Düsseldorf above Munich? Unbelievable!
        Blah

Comment

I went from this:

13 New York City, United States
          to this:

112 Portland (Ore.), United States
          I'm paying about the same I was paying in NY for rent (my share, I mean, not the total). But I'm getting much, much more. I also have a car now, which I couldn't have in NY.

Portland is a lovely city--very liveable, and lacking the huge crowds that drove me nuts in NY.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
            Forget about New York, Chicago, or Denver.

The cheapest state to live in in the Union is still Arkansas.

Y'all better get in quick on this oppurtunity quick.

We don't want all those people coming down here.

If everyone was here than it wouldn't be cheap anymore.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
              Forget about New York, Chicago, or Denver.

The cheapest state to live in in the Union is still Arkansas.

Y'all better get in quick on this oppurtunity quick.
              Ever heard of Alabama?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                european countries should be adjusted downward by 5.9% to take into account the euros gain in value against the US dollar (mercer doesnt do PPP)

doing so, and comparing the 2004, you can see that many euro cities had only small increases in cost of living compared to USA (some even had negative increases)

That would be true if europeans spend their money on american stuff, but since most consumer goods are domestic or at least from the euro zone it doesn't make sense. The same goes for raw materials and industrial goods.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That list is such unbelievable BS. Seoul more expensive than New York except for the real estate bubble prices for a lot of basic stuff are far far far lower here.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                    By the way, I'm renting a 4 bedroom townhouse with a basement and a rec room for $1,215 per month.

Do you guys consider that cheap?
                    Well I live in #3 now, so yeah, that is cheap...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Gothenburg (Swedens second largest city - my hometown) isn´t even on the list. I think it´s pretty expensive here though... I pay $380 for a small (32 square meters) studio apartment. I live in a rather nice part of the town, but it isn´t much cheaper in the "projects"...
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I live in a two bedroom house, decent size, which costs me £700 a month...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

i'll be in #6 next year - yay. san diego didnt even make the list, and sf checked in at #50.
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

PH, £700 a month?? Ouch...
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

That's right! And this isn't an especially expensive area either...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                                Gothenburg (Swedens second largest city - my hometown) isn´t even on the list. I think it´s pretty expensive here though... I pay $380 for a small (32 square meters) studio apartment. I live in a rather nice part of the town, but it isn´t much cheaper in the "projects"...
                                I guess that there are a reason to the fact that Gothenburg isn't on the list. For $380 you can rent a 12 sqare meter room with shared toilet and kitchen in a Copenhagen suburb. Forget about renting it in central parts - there a 40 sqm "appartment" are for sale at 1 mill dkr ~ 1.2 mill skr ($1 = 7 dkr)
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X