X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Donald Rumsfeld Speaks on

Originally posted by Pax
    Iran, democracy, and etc...
    Why? He is the SecDef. Why is he in the news criticizing elections in Iran. I think the SecDef should be concerned with issues such as Veteran's retirement, making sure the wars we are fighting are properly funded and military well trained. By defintion of title, Iran should only come as related to ACTUAL security concerns. If they are planning a war or if we are planning a war.
    Maybe because Iran is an actual security concern?

Comment

Re: Re: Donald Rumsfeld Speaks on

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Maybe because Iran is an actual security concern?
      Countries that are "security concerns" have never, in the past, been addressed by the SecDef. The SecDef gets involved when the matter becomes military; before that, it's a matter for either the SecState or the NSA.

Think Cold War. Who handled the Soviets? Acheson, Dulles, Kissinger, Schultz, etc. All SecStates (Kissinger was also NSA). Who dealt with "security concerns" under Clinton? Christopher, Albright, Tony Lake. Aside from McNamara -- and he was directing a war -- I can't remember any SecDef with this public a presence, and none with this wide-ranging a portfolio.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Countries that are "security concerns" have never, in the past, been addressed by the SecDef.

Read his post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Countries that are "security concerns" have never, in the past, been addressed by the SecDef.

Read his post.
          I did read his post. I'm parsing the distinction you're making, and suggesting that you're both wrong. His definition of "security concern" is wrong (under that definition, the Soviets were not a security concern fro most of the Cold War) and your suggestion that Iran, because it is a security concern, falls within the purview of the SecDef is also wrong.

Where Pax is right is in suggesting that, unless we are planning a war with Iran or vice versa, Rumsfeld is not teh person who should be speaking for teh administration on Iran. He certainly has no business addressing their election process.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

There's a great Cheney story from his first days as SecDef under George I. Larry Welch was the Chief of Staff of the USAF back then, and Welch had gone to Capitol Hill to visit a personal friend from their early air force days who was now a Congressman. Cheney assumed (based on no information) that Welch was up there lobbying, so when he saw Welch at lunch, Cheney called Welch out publicly in the outdoor dining area inside the E-ring about "freelancing" and going up to the Hill without permission. When Welch explained who'd he'd gone to see and why, Cheney just turned away in a huff and muttered something to the effect of "well, don't do it again."

One of Welch's buddies made a remark about the exchange, and Welch replied that he'd "been shot at by professionals, so getting shot at by an amateur was no bid deal."

And Cheney hasn't learned a thing since then, almost 17 years ago.
            And Cheney fired him a few days later. Welch was CofS for about 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

I did read his post. I'm parsing the distinction you're making, and suggesting that you're both wrong. His definition of "security concern" is wrong (under that definition, the Soviets were not a security concern fro most of the Cold War) and your suggestion that Iran, because it is a security concern, falls within the purview of the SecDef is also wrong.

Where Pax is right is in suggesting that, unless we are planning a war with Iran or vice versa, Rumsfeld is not teh person who should be speaking for teh administration on Iran. He certainly has no business addressing their election process.
              I stand CORRECTED AGAIN! My point is as Firefly stated. Thanks FLYGUY!
              What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
              What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

I'd like to see Rumsfeld kind of meltdown in public, which is likely once he realises noone is listening anymore. That would be very cool.

My bet is if Bush has an ounce of sense Rumsfeld will fall on his sword eventually.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                  Which always begs the question of who's actually in charge?
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                    I'd like to see Rumsfeld kind of meltdown in public, which is likely once he realises noone is listening anymore. That would be very cool.

My bet is if Bush has an ounce of sense Rumsfeld will fall on his sword eventually.
                    Something is going to happen.

I've mentioned it a few times, but the "I tried to resign twice but the President wouldn't accept it" line is very peculiar...
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

DanS should be here defending his boy.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I think poor Dan has become the Lone Ranger.

I have heard people I would have never expected latley talking about how they are tired of Iraq. These are even the "kill 'em all and let god sort it out," types.

Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          DanS should be here defending his boy.
                          I have nothing invested in what happens to Rumsfeld. I expect him to resign in a year or two anyway. That job always accumulates a lot of spears in the stomach. It's also the biggest portfolio.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

tee hee - just wanted to make sure you were keeping up with your reading
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; June 29, 2005, 02:34.

Comment

3 1/2 years is too long to wait.

*sigh*

Comment

On another note, Bush addressed the nation tonight, on television, about Iraq, in which he made way too many references about 9/11. It's freaking annoying and insulting that he continues to spew that crap.

The 9/11 Card has become a joke, and it looks desparate.

It used to be the Trump card, when you threw it down, it was game over. It was like insulting someone's Mom. Everybody knew there was no comeback from it. But now it's been bastardized to the point that it's a parody. But hey, half our people still think Saddam did 9/11, so it works.

But the rest of us know he's full of it. And of course we got to hear about "freedom."

Even CNN is running more time to the negative responses.

Senator Kerry has been going on the offensive latley. Maybe that's his new role, attack dog. Good on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X