My dad just bought an iPod Mini...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    I did. Frankly it was a good buy. The sound pisses over every other digital audio player I've heard. I was astonished at how good it was.
    RDF
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Did someone fart?
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

IIRC , the "Linux on the iPod" project allows you to play any sound format you can install a codec for , it currently plays mp3 and FLAC files , and 4th generation iPods should be able to support realtime OGG playback ( it currently plays OGG at 80 % realtime ) .

Comment

80% realtime!

Go linux!
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Umm . . . . . That's because of processor restrictions ( the OGG format requires a certain minimum of processing power , which the iPods cannot provide in thir current state ) , which the iPod 4th gen is expected to overcome . At least in this instance , you didn't know that you were talking about , did you ?

Another thing is that the Linux hack allows you to record music at 96 khz ( CD quality is 44 khz ) , while you have to pay Apple for the privilege of recording something on an unhacked iPod at 8 khz .
            Last edited by aneeshm; June 28, 2005, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

Sure sweetheart...
              You're wrong. Commercial products that use MP3 must pay royalties.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Never said that.

My argument has nothing to do with DRM, and everything to do with Apple locking you into their music store and their music player by (a) not licensing their format to others, (b) not licensing other peoples' formats.
                Who cares? My point was that they're just marketing strategies anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                  Who cares? My point was that they're just marketing strategies anyway.
                  Either way, it's a ridiculous point.

The real point is Apple's "marketing strategy" doesn't take into account the user's actual needs.

Comment

Bah! I bet most people don't even know what format iTunes encodes to.

Comment

Again, what's your point? The same is true for the people (like my dad) who ripped with WMP.

That's why supporting the formats is good, because it's good for the user. Choice is good.

Comment

We all know how Microsoft is interested in letting us the choice. When WM owns 90% of the market we'll be ****ed just like we are with Windows.

Comment

We all know how Microsoft is interested in letting us the choice. When WM owns 90% of the market we'll be ****ed just like we are with Windows.
                          Don't see why, you're free to use other formats.

You don't have to use Windows, either. Lord knows Aggie lets us know that all the time.

Comment

Anyway, if Asher's father had kept his iPod he could be listening to free podcasts right now. I'm listening to the CBC's Quirks and Quarks.

That's the sort of thing that I would love to keep up with, but could never get organized. Now it downloads automagically.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              Anyway, if Asher's father had kept his iPod he could be listening to free podcasts right now. I'm listening to the CBC's Quirks and Quarks.

That's the sort of thing that I would love to keep up with, but could never get organized. Now it downloads automagically.

Podcasts are not exclusive to the iPod/iTunes, contrary to what Apple has you believe...

I've been podcasting longer than the name's been around. I used an RSS parser to auto-download TV shows as they're released.

Podcasting is just RSS feeds that point to media files. Quirks & Quarks' RSS feed points to simple MP3 files: http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/quirks.xml

I think you'll agree that virtually every MP3 player can play MP3s, and hence podcasts.

Comment

You're wrong. Commercial products that use MP3 must pay royalties.
                                Which I am fine with and I guess it's the same with all the other formats, except maybe OGG, but since OGG support is virtually non-existant, this is not even worth considering. Now I could campaign in favor of OGG, but this is a lost cause.
                                I had several friends who fell for the OGG hype, but when they got an mp3 player they had to recode all their music files back to mp3, because none they considered would support it.

What I hate about WMA is how MS tries to create a defacto industry standard with it and dethrone the consumer-friendly mp3. I hope mp3 support will not be kicked. The day a device that supports WMA, but not mp3 arrives is the day I fear and then it's only a matter of time that they kick out mp3 and kick in DRM and bamm everything becomes a pain in the ass. "Sorry you have listened to this song in your house, if you also want to listen in your car, you have to pay $1 extra or buy a house-car license for all your music for $1087"
                                "You are only allowed to listen to this song all 10 minutes"
                                "You are not allowed to copy the song to your second hard-drive"
                                "We prohibit you from playing this song with player XYZ"
                                As you can see of what would theoretically be possible with DRM: It does not GRANT you anything but only DENY. If they want me to buy that, they'd have to give me something. And the way I view this is that they will do this by creating applications tailored to DRM and without DRM you can do not so nice things than with songs that have DRM information. Of course this feels like a cheap artificial rip-off, but people will buy it anyway and so it will creep in.

Unless of course people would stop using WMA and AAC and demand MP3... another lost cause to campaign for (even more because we know how much the Music Industry shows interests for their customers' desires)

Comment

Working...
                                X