My dad just bought an iPod Mini...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad just bought an iPod Mini...

And returned it after he discovered he can't play his WMA files on it.

He's not the most computer-technical person, so he was at Costco and they had iPod Minis on the cheap. Decided he want an MP3 player for his walking, so he picked one up without thinking about the file formats.

He had already ripped his CDs onto the computer a long time ago, but he used Windows Media Player to do it with WMA. He wasn't going to re-rip them because Apple has some political issues.

Apple -- not giving a damn about the users since 1976.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

2.5-10
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Like father like son. Twin dumbasses in the sunset.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I agree he should've just got the Zen Micro.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

he wouln't need to re-rip them, theres are plenty of free apps that do batch conversions

Comment

Transcoding is horrendously evil. I want to kill you on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Transcoding is horrendously evil. I want to kill you on the spot.
              I admit I'm a bit of a philistine where music is concerned, as long as it's loud I'm not too bothered.

Comment

Re: My dad just bought an iPod Mini...

And returned it after he discovered he can't play his WMA files on it.

He's not the most computer-technical person, so he was at Costco and they had iPod Minis on the cheap. Decided he want an MP3 player for his walking, so he picked one up without thinking about the file formats.

He had already ripped his CDs onto the computer a long time ago, but he used Windows Media Player to do it with WMA. He wasn't going to re-rip them because Apple has some political issues.

Apple -- not giving a damn about the users since 1976.
                So is this political bickering or not?

Comment

Yes, it was political bickering on Apple's behalf that is screwing the users in this case by locking them into Apple-only technologies.

It's not political bickering to be upset that you're not allowed to use the soundfiles you already have. That is a usability gripe.

Comment

I find it comforting that Apple exists to make the life of Asher and his family miserable.

What a big whiny baby he is.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      I find it comforting that Apple exists to make the life of Asher and his family miserable.

What a big whiny baby he is.
                      Not really.

WMP is probably one of the easiest ways to rip CDs, especially for those who don't know much about computers. So not supporting WMA is clearly motivated by something other than practicality.

Oh, and my girlfriend just got a Zen Micro and its fantastic

Comment

Yes, it was political bickering on Apple's behalf that is screwing the users in this case by locking them into Apple-only technologies.

It's not political bickering to be upset that you're not allowed to use the soundfiles you already have. That is a usability gripe.
                        You are right, Apple is evil in that case and I think they should open the iPod up, to a.) different software to upload music (iTunes is teh useless bloatware) and b.) support more formats like WMA and OGG.
                        But on the other hand, they are the only ones who for example include a Firewire connector.

Comment

What a pathetic troll. The truth is that no corporation, Apple or not, will support Ogg. Why should we care about a proprietary format over the other?
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I thought OGG was open?
                            iRiver supports OGG btw..

Why should we care about a proprietary format over the other?
                            Whom do you mean with "we"?

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              What a pathetic troll. The truth is that no corporation, Apple or not, will support Ogg. Why should we care about a proprietary format over the other?
                              Ogg is open, not proprietary.

WMA is proprietary, but Apple already has a WMA decoding license (which is why you can transcode from WMA in iTunes), and the chip inside the iPods (by PortalPlayer) has WMA decoding abilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X