My dad just bought an iPod Mini...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atahualpa
    But on the other hand, they are the only ones who for example include a Firewire connector.
    The new iPods are including USB 2.0 over Firewire...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

WMA

Microsoft for defaulting to WMA when ripping

Apple for not supportin OGG
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
        The truth is that no corporation, Apple or not, will support Ogg.
        Laggard: http://eng.cowon.com/product/iAUDIOM3/about.html

Comment

I thought this was another of Asher's Apple-is-not-bad-afterall threads. But I now realize that I'll probably never see another one of those in my lifetime.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Not really.

WMP is probably one of the easiest ways to rip CDs, especially for those who don't know much about computers. So not supporting WMA is clearly motivated by something other than practicality.
            That has nothing to do with it. It's equally easy to rip to any format as long as the software has a button that says "rip". There's nothing intrinsically great about WMA or any other format on that front.

But someone should give Asher back his rattle before he has another tantrum.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The new iPods are including USB 2.0 over Firewire...
              Which new iPods? The ones (6GB) that are described on the Apple site are listed with both Firewire and USB 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                That has nothing to do with it. It's equally easy to rip to any format as long as the software has a button that says "rip". There's nothing intrinsically great about WMA or any other format on that front.
                It doesn't matter, does it?

Why doesn't Apple support WMA?

Oh! I know! I know!

Because supporting WMA means opening up to a competitive market in the legal download world.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Which new iPods? The ones (6GB) that are described on the Apple site are listed with both Firewire and USB 2.0
                  iPod Shuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    This is not true, MP3 is the best format. It has the biggest industry support, still provides good quality at reasonable filesize and has no such thing as DRM. It's the perfect format!

Anything else is a limitation, either in music reproductors or in digital rights.

Comment

iPod Shuffle.
                      Come on.. nobody is going to buy that anyway

Comment

This is not true, MP3 is the best format. It has the biggest industry support, still provides good quality at reasonable filesize and has no such thing as DRM. It's the perfect format!

Anything else is a limitation, either in music reproductors or in digital rights.
                        Small detail: it's not free.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Ogg is open, not proprietary.

WMA is proprietary, but Apple already has a WMA decoding license (which is why you can transcode from WMA in iTunes), and the chip inside the iPods (by PortalPlayer) has WMA decoding abilities.
                          That's what I meant. Any corporation, given the opportunity, would try to monopolize a market and impose DRM - just look at how many of them support Ogg. Why do you always seem to think that MS is right and Apple is in the wrong?
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

That's what I meant. Any corporation, given the opportunity, would try to monopolize a market and impose DRM - just look at how many of them support Ogg. Why do you always seem to think that MS is right and Apple is in the wrong?
                            Never said that.

My argument has nothing to do with DRM, and everything to do with Apple locking you into their music store and their music player by (a) not licensing their format to others, (b) not licensing other peoples' formats.

In this case, Microsoft is letting anyone at all license their format. Even if they compete with MSN Music (Microsoft's own store).

It's not a case that "MS is always right and Apple is always wrong", and to think that somebody such as yourself would try to make such an argument is pretty funny.

This isn't an intro to Philosophy class. That stuff works on Aggie and other beanies, but not meeeeeeeeee.

Comment

Small detail: it's not free.
                              Sure sweetheart...

Comment

Come on.. nobody is going to buy that anyway
                                I did. Frankly it was a good buy. The sound pisses over every other digital audio player I've heard. I was astonished at how good it was.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X