Clear All

Expensive.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by DanS
      Baby steps. Baby steps.[quote]

Baby steps to what?

It could get by in the marketplace on novelty. I would be willing to fork over several thousand bucks for a transatlantic Zeppelin flight. Besides, cruise ships take too long for somebody with only 2 weeks of vacation at a time.
      Novel things do not tend to be over a century old.

You seem to be betting on a market in which people are willing to splurge thousands on a trip that lasts 2 weeks at most. If such a potential market exists, wouldn't you believe that they'd already have started offering specific cruises to suit the demand? (maybe they already have, I don't know)
      Heck, I bet it'd even make more sense to stuff an A340 with amenities and let it criss-cross the globe.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

You seem to be betting on a market in which people are willing to splurge thousands on a trip that lasts 2 weeks at most.
        Those are the kinds of trips that Americans take. Doesn't require any special imagination for me.

If such a potential market exists, wouldn't you believe that they'd already have started offering specific cruises to suit the demand?
        Adventure cruises make excellent money in the $5k - $10k range.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          Adventure cruises make excellent money in the $5k - $10k range.
          Cruises also offer way more amenities. More bang for your buck.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Cruises take too damn long for transatlantic. I'm repeating myself. If you're going to Paris for a honeymoon, you might have a week or two. Tops.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yeah, very few people have the time to spend that period of time onboard a ship (or equivalent). And it's not like the scenery would be great, just water for days on end
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

WANTED

Customers with the following traits:

- Time sensitive, but not too time sensitive.
                - In want for amenities during travel but not too much of them.
                - Willing to splurge big bucks on a century old-novelty.
                - Desiring a watery scenery, but not for too long.
                - Possessing Dan's special sense of imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  And it's not like the scenery would be great, just water for days on end
                  ...and the occastional gigantic rogue wave like the one that caved in the windows on an liner off the East Coast about a month ago.

Comment

Well I suppose anything to alleviate the boredom...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Honestly though, these cruises sound like my idea of hell. Stuck on board a ship with nothing but old people sunbathing, ballroom dancing and watching cabarets...or staring at the water for hours on end. Pure hell...
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Honestly though, these cruises sound like my idea of hell. Stuck on board a ship with nothing but old people sunbathing, ballroom dancing and watching cabarets...or staring at the water for hours on end. Pure hell...
                        You obviously missed Frankychan's post in another thread, about the time he was a steward on a cruise ship and had horny single mom's throwing themselves at him. Now, some people might find that boring, but . . .
                        Last edited by Zkribbler; June 27, 2005, 20:16.

Comment

Re: WANTED

Originally posted by Colon
                          Customers with the following traits:

- Time sensitive, but not too time sensitive.
                          - In want for amenities during travel but not too much of them.
                          - Willing to splurge big bucks on a century old-novelty.
                          - Desiring a watery scenery, but not for too long.
                          - Possessing Dan's special sense of imagination.

Comment

Working...
                          X