Traveling by dirigible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    They're also making these dirigibles slightly heavier-than-air. This should help with handling.
    I'm sure it does if they also have wheels on the bottom too
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm afraid you're going to have to explain where the joke is in that...
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Surely if the thing was heavier than air, it would defeat the whole object of the thing?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The motors will provide some additional lift, I suppose (either through thrust vectoring or, during forward motion, from airflow over either the body or small additional wings)
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            They're also making these dirigibles slightly heavier-than-air. This should help with handling.
            Are they by any chance call A1M1 Abrams tanks? Those things are heavier than air.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Surely if the thing was heavier than air, it would defeat the whole object of the thing?
              As KH says, it flies by use of lift additionaly. But not much lift is needed to achieve flight, even with extreme payloads.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Are they by any chance call A1M1 Abrams tanks? Those things are heavier than air.
                There are many types of heavier-than-air craft, only one of which is the Abrams.

Comment

The German Zeps could go 70mph, crossing the Atlantic in two days. If they could make them a little faster they could perhaps compete in some passenger markets. Otherwise it just has novelty value.
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The ones now in service in southern Germany are used for sightseeing.

Comment

They make em so that people can go to europe for a couple of hundred bucks, it will open up traffic to alot more people who otherwise couldn't afford it. Europe would see a massive influx of trailer trash however.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The current Zepellin airships can cruise at about 80 mph. Ohio Airships are designed for a cruising speed of about 110 mph. A little over a day's flight from New York to Paris.

It would probably be a pretty expensive way to go, though. You would have to have sleeping cabins, entertainment areas, restaurants.

I would pay the money just to try it out, though. It would be super fun.

The ones now in service in southern Germany are used for sightseeing.
                        Rather spendy, though. Like E350 for an hour's flight. They shouldn't charge so much money.

Comment

Some of the modern application for Airships are moving freight from/to areas without air terminals. Some examples are harvesting primary growth timber without the environmental degredation of timber roads, which typically cause terrible problems with erosion.
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                            The German Zeps could go 70mph, crossing the Atlantic in two days. If they could make them a little faster they could perhaps compete in some passenger markets. Otherwise it just has novelty value.
                            Or freight. The fact that it can go straight-line between two points might make it faster than ships.

EDIT: wait, even if they go less than 70 mph they're still faster than ships.

Comment

They've been talking on-and-off about the come-back of zeppelins for at least a decade already. I wouldn't count on it.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Too late. Zeppelin already has a small fleet and is going into design on a second-generation larger airship.

You're thinking of Cargolifter, which was a German stock scam in which hundreds of millions vanished.

Comment

Working...
                                X