Traveling by dirigible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling by dirigible

I want to travel by dirigable. Airplanes are just so passe.

Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Last I heard, the Zepplin company was up and running a couple of sight-seeing dirigibles in southern Germany.

Comment

Here's a link to the Zepplin website.

Comment

Yeah, but it's not happening fast enough. By the time there's a Zepplin to Cebu I'll be 200 years old.

Comment

Well, there's not really the fastest vehicles around.

Comment

Whatever happened to liesure time anyway? Getting there is half the fun? The world is in a terrible hurry but it's still just floating around that same happy star in it's always been.

Comment

Why not take a tramp steamer?

My understanding is you can get pretty good rates taking a cargo ship, and the food is generally quite good. It just takes a while and you need sea legs.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Why a dirigible when you can just connect a bunch of helium-filled weather balloons to your deckchair?

Comment

che, I've thought of it, but Dolores isn't keen on the idea. Her brother is a seaman so maybe if it was his ship...he docks in Portland Oregon sometimes too...

yeah, yeah...

"Why a dirigible when you can just connect a bunch of helium-filled weather balloons to your deckchair?"

Or travel like space aliens, use a weather balloon.

Comment

I'm not sure about aliens, but DARPA is funding an airship called WALRUS which is targeted to carry 1,000 tons of equipment anywhere in the world within days.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

That must be a big airship!

You could always walk there
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

1,000 tons. I wonder how lift capability compares with modern aircraft. It seems that if you can move 1,000 tons around then you could carry plenty of passengers. One ton would be 10 200 lb passengers without bags. So, figure 1000 lbs of bags and you have 20 people taking 3 tons. 333 people in 1000 tons?

Comment

3 tons a person? Only in America
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

3 tons for 20 persons.

Comment

Modern aircraft can lift about 75 metric tons at most.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X