Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Third Tom Cruise Thread - "War of the Worlds" reviews (spoilers in boxes!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bkeela
    Revenge of the Sith might be a good film for someone with very, very low standards. I thought it was ****e.

Spielberg can be pretty much relied upon when he isn't making 'serious' films, but I wish he had been true to the Victorian setting of the novel. It is like your average American film goer wouldn't have been able to relate to the film unless it was set in modern times.

I have mixed feelings about Tom Cruise. He was excellent in Magnolia, but is fairly nondescript as the action hero. I'm still having nightmares about The Last Samurai.
    Actually, it's because your average moviegoer doesn't expect 1890s technology to have any hope whatsoever against the things. While that's the point of the story, as a filmmaker trying to create suspense, why handicap yourself from the start by removing modern weaponry?

Anyway, you want to see a period piece, check out the other War of the Worlds, also released this year (albeit straight to video.)

Comment

Oops, that's the third WotW released this year. The period piece is this one.

Comment

Anyway, you want to see a period piece, check out the other War of the Worlds, also released this year (albeit straight to video.)

Wow, I didn't know about this. After reading some of the commentaries on IMDB this is one I definitely want to see. Thanks
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

My pleasure.

Comment

Working...
          X