Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Third Tom Cruise Thread - "War of the Worlds" reviews (spoilers in boxes!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sn00py
    Seems like no one has grasped the concept Speilberg was getting at with this movie.

I think I should help you slow evolving ones by giving you a hint: You never leave Tom Cruise.
    Everyone already grasped it...

Comment

The "lightening", death rays, and EMP shots were super eerie.

Good movie.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It was sos full of destructive force, humanity was daying out in every picture of it just before the end. Truly impressive.

Comment

excellent movie. i am really surprised that some people are taking note of camcorders and all that while watching a superb piece of cinematography
          (btw, doesn't EMP take out only those things that are switched on? correct me if i am wrong, no engineer here)

with one exception (robbie surviving), spielberg really got his ==== together and did what he always does best - great entertainment. fog of war was brilliant, so was death, destruction and human hysteria. there was no hero dad BS, no hero US army saves the day crap. just terror, rumors and panic. brilliant.

my wife, not having read the book, complained about how certain things were not explained to her in full. i ====== hate movies where some ubergeek sits in D.C. and FIGURES IT OUT for us moviegoers, then briefs half-wit members of administration so that we can understand it ("martians deficit of beta-globtroters and midichlorins is caused by the surplus of aerophile bacteria blah blah...
          )

i was truly impressed by this movie. just shows you what a piece of **** ID4 was...

(best line: "is it from europe?")

Comment

I liked it

didn't like the camcorder or
            Spoiler:
            robbie surviving

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Okay, I finally saw it and IMO it sucks.

First, the premiss of the movie was ridiculous. Either the aliens wanted to conquer Earth, in which case why bury machines and wait a couple of million years till an intelligent species has evolved or they wanted to use people for food, in which case how did they know millions of years before that humans would appear in Earth's evolution?

Then, if I ever saw cardbox characters in a movie this was the one. I didn't care about the Tom Cruise character, I didn't care about the boy and I didn't care about the little girl.

The special effects were okay I guess, but eye candy never saved a bad movie before.

The only thing this movie did okay was the Invaders From Mars reference when Tom Cruise stands beside a fence that is an exact copy from the fence in said film.

Another good thing was that I watched the original WotW again the next day.

What a waste of time...
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

Maybe for some reason the aliens needed for humanity to evolve to the point of dominating the planet, but not far enough to seriously fight back. Six billion people, weighing an average of 100 to 150 pounds, may provide more meat than 500 milloin cows or 50 million elephants.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I loved the film.

Saw it four times and will likely go again before its run is over.

Of course, WotW has a special place in my heart as it was the first true novel I read, sometime in the second grade.

The 1953 movie is different, inferior, and there's too much God-talk in it. And it's incredibly sexist - Ann Robinson (who, in the film, has a Masters in library science) talking to Dr. Forrester, explaining why the crater isn't as big as Forrester thinks it should be: "It didn't crash straight down, it came in at an angle"... she blushes, then looks down... "But what do I know of such things?"

Comment

Hueij way overthought this one. The reasons that the aliens attacked and the reasons they attacked now are not for us to know. The differences in intelligence between us and the aliens are too great, in any event. We can speculate, of course, and Speilberg gives us some suggestions.

The characters were not supposed to be sympathetic. The dad was a right bastard with few redeeming qualities. The only one with an ounce of "human" feeling in the end was the rebellious son. But even then, you don't have to like him.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The 1953 movie is different, inferior, and there's too much God-talk in it. And it's incredibly sexist - Ann Robinson (who, in the film, has a Masters in library science) talking to Dr. Forrester, explaining why the crater isn't as big as Forrester thinks it should be: "It didn't crash straight down, it came in at an angle"... she blushes, then looks down... "But what do I know of such things?"

What? For a movie that is over 50 years old the special effects are still stunning today. And it is no more sexist than any movie of the period. BTW, wasn't there a woman scientist in the team that tried to come up with a defense against the Martians?
                      Once again...

Comment

I just saw it this past Wednesday (we're discussing the 1953 film in our film group this month) and I don't remember any female scientist. My wife seems to remember an older foreign women among the team, so I'll defer to her.

But still... a woman with a Masters degree who

a. Doesn't recognize the subject of her Masters thesis until he puts his glasses on (Look at me - I'm Clark Kent!)

b. Doesn't have enough confidence in herself to say what was completely obvious in re: to the landing?

Comment

Hueij way overthought this one.

Well, maybe you are right. While watching it I constantly tried to compare it to the 1953 original, and when I saw that Invaders From Mars shot I wondered why they don't make SciFi flicks like in the 50's any more.
                          Once again...

Comment

Come on John, you are talking 1953 here. It's not like a dumb buxomed blonde is carried away by a bug eyed monster and the hero tries to save her.

Although I love those movies
                            Once again...

Comment

With women who constantly faint or scream at the first sign of danger? With scientists who spend their free time going to square dances even though they live in LA?

I don't know, maybe they don't make 'em like that because the audience would laugh or be embarrassed?

Comment

I also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this weekend. Not a bad film, surprisingly. Sure kept Sophie occupied!

But she sure didn't like it when the girl blew up into a blueberry! She went into Ann Robinson mode during that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X