No announcement yet.

Is this a good video card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 9600Pro AGP 256 is a great deal. They still sell the ATI Radeon 9550 about 200$ bucks at Futureshop... Prices don't come down rapidly, do they? The Radeon 9800 is still quite expensive.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Sapphire 9600PRO AGP 256MB for sure.

The 9550 AGP-se is crippled...
      Really? Hmmm... But Asher, I hate to sound like a broken record, but why exactly is the 9550 "crippled"?

The 9600Pro AGP 256 is a great deal. They still sell the ATI Radeon 9550 about 200$ bucks at Futureshop... Prices don't come down rapidly, do they? The Radeon 9800 is still quite expensive.
      Yeah, thats because Futureshop is teh suck. This place I go is pretty good with prices too... probably a combination of the two bringing the price down.

Comment

Anything ATI with an "SE" at the end mean it has a crippled memory bus -- 64-bit instead of 128-bit. Half the memory bandwidth = crippled.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
          At the site I listed, they're selling the 9800 256 for $249... not bad if you said the 9550 is still around $200 at FS.

Comment

Anything ATI with an "SE" at the end mean it has a crippled memory bus -- 64-bit instead of 128-bit. Half the memory bandwidth = crippled.
            Ahhh... I see.

Thanks for all the advice, you've been really helpful.

Edit: And you too Nostro

Comment

Now pray to God that it works on your system. I removed my Radeon because it made my system crash all the time. 200$ down the drain... The charms of PC gaming...
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                Now pray to God that it works on your system. I removed my Radeon because it made my system crash all the time. 200$ down the drain... The charms of PC gaming...
                Damn, that sucks... any way to see those sorts of things coming ahead of time?

Comment

No. That's why PC gaming sucks major ass. A friend of mine has the same video card and it works just fine. Go figure...

Comment

What kind of motherboard do you have?

1) Update your mobo BIOS
                    2) Update your mobo drivers
                    3) Update your video card drivers
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

An Asus K8V-MX with integrated graphics. Yes, I tried to cut corners... I can't update the BIOS nor the mobo drivers. Hell, the K8V-MX is not even on Asus' website. I contacted ASUS, and they told me that the drivers that came on my mobo's cd-rom are the most up to date. I tried almost everything I could try. Update the card drivers, noodle with the bios... Nothing works, so **** it. Next time, you can be sure I'll get myself a decent mobo.

Comment

So Asher, about this 9600PRO AGP... would you say this is a good all around video card, or is it just good in that it doesn't totally blow and fits into my budget?

Comment

It's a very good all-around card.

Comment

It's a very good all-around card.
                            Nice.

Asher Approved

Comment

But getting 'old'.

Really, when buying video-cards, get them second hand. They are usually still relatively new and you can get a good deal on them.

Buy a 9800PRO with a 360 core and flash it to a 9800XT.

Set me back about 150$ US.

Also, was is the rest of your system like? No use getting a top notch card on an older system.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

There's always the step-wise upgrade...
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X