Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    Depends on the situation.
    How about with Half Life 2 as a point of reference (since I own it)?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
      How about with Half Life 2 as a point of reference (since I own it)?
      Given your budget and the site, your two best choices are the Radeon X300-SE and the Leadtek PX6200.

Amazingly, I found a comparison benchmark in HL2 for them both:

DOOM 3 is reversed.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

By the way, both of those cards use system memory as well as video card memory.

They either come with 64-128MB on-board, then the other memory comes from your system RAM. There's a significant performance hit for this, but that's why those are cheap.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Isn't the Radeon X300-SE PCI-express? Given that Jimmy has an older system, he probably doesn't even have a PCI-express mobo.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Good call, hell if I know. The low-end is so boring.

Comment

Looks like both are PCI-Express. Oh well.

He needs AGP if he's upgrading a GF4.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                By the way, both of those cards use system memory as well as video card memory.

They either come with 64-128MB on-board, then the other memory comes from your system RAM. There's a significant performance hit for this, but that's why those are cheap.
                Wow, I had no idea about this. I guess thats OK though since I just upgraded my RAM. But still, I'm confuzled.

The Radeon claims to have 128MB, and the Leadtek 256MB... so why would the 128 perform that much better, or better at all for that matter? Is the ATI technology that much superior?

So, what would be your (or anyone else's) pick for the best deal between these two or any other ones? I'd be willing to spend a bit more for a card thats far superior to the other cheaper ones, but probably not more than $150.

Like, for example, this one:

Would the extra $35 make that much of a performance difference to justify it over the $99 models?

Comment

You need to find an AGP card though.

Comment

Looks like both are PCI-Express. Oh well.

He needs AGP if he's upgrading a GF4.
                    I'm not sure if I can support it... this is my Mobo:

Comment

You need to find an AGP card though.
                      Are you sure? My current card is PCI...

Comment

PCI and PCI-express are not the same thing. What you need is an AGP card, like the Radeon 9550
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                          Are you sure? My current card is PCI...
                          Yes, that doesn't have PCI-Express.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                            PCI and PCI-express are not the same thing. What you need is an AGP card, like the Radeon 9550
                            Always the salesman...

But, yeah, thats what I thought... that sucks. Good thing you guys told me or I probably would have bought it.

How about among these two, which one is best for the price:

Sapphire RADEON 9550 AGP 128MB ($75)

or

Sapphire 9600PRO AGP 256MB ($135)

Is the extra money worth it performance wise?

Comment

And obviously I can assume the 9600 will perform better, but will it be negligible?

Comment

Sapphire 9600PRO AGP 256MB for sure.

The 9550 AGP-se is crippled...

Comment

Working...
                                X