Is this a good video card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good video card?

I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my computer to be relatively modern but without spending big bucks on it. Right now I'm looking at video cards.

Currently I have an old GeForce4 MX 420 w/ 64MB of onboard RAM. Its OK, but doesn't help me much with any of the newer games. At a local shop I found a GeForce FX 5500 based card with 256MB of onboard RAM, featured here:

Its $99 CAD, which seems like a pretty good deal to me... especially with 256MB included, although I must admit I'm not too informed on these things.

My question is, is this a good deal and will I notice any significant different in performance compared to what I have now? Also, its AGP... does that have any benefits or drawbacks comapred to PCI? All I want is for newer games (like Half Life 2) to run better, I don't need any fancy extra features.

Oh, and in case it makes a difference, here's my current system specs:

Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
    768MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    PNY GeForce4 MX 420 64MB

So, is it worth going for this card or should I wait for better cards to get cheaper?

Thanks in advance for the advice, guys.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it.

BAD!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And here's the manufacturer's website with more information:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it.

BAD!
        Why?

Comment

It's a very bad/slow/"quirky" family of Nvidia cards that most people want to forget about.

5xxx series is terrible.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That was a pretty quick response I have to say though.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              It's a very bad/slow/"quirky" family of Nvidia cards that most people want to forget about.

5xxx series is terrible.
              Is that why its so cheap?

Or a better question: even if it sucks, would I get better performance from what I had before?

Comment

Yes, better performance.

But there are better buys...

Comment

Well, I'm glad you let me know... damn, that was really quick.

How about this card then? Same price, $99:

It supposedly uses NVIDIA® IntellisampleT 3.0 technology - whatever the hell that is.

Comment

It uses PCI-E instead of AGP so that is good. Don't know much beyond that though.
                    I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
                      It uses PCI-E instead of AGP do that is good. Don't know much beyond that though.
                      Do all newer motherboards support PCI-E... thats what I was wondering when I read it.

Comment

Do you want an ATI 9550 with 256 MB ddr? I'll sell you mine for about 120$ cdn. It's almost new. Its worth about 200 $ before taxes. Still under waranty.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          Do you want an ATI 9550 with 256 MB ddr? I'll sell you mine for about 120$ cdn. It's almost new. Still under waranty.
                          Thanks for the offer, but I think I'd rather buy it new from the store.

But guys, on this page:

Which card would give me the best performance for $120 or under?

Comment

And how much of a difference does the onboard memory actually make? In other words, would 256 on a crappy card perform worse than 128 on a good one?

Comment

Depends on the situation.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X