Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo . . . . . . Not games !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh! Patent the creative thought process!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      Yeah I see 2 big winners. EA and Blizzard. The rest can get the hell out. And maybe Ubisoft.
      Ubisoft is about to be bought by EA
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        You can't patent concepts.
        But in a capitalist society, anything is possible! *

* Possibilities may be relative to the size of your bank account.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Less games means less game purchases means less money. Except for few. All in all, capitalism would suffer from this, not benefit.
          Don't confuse revenue with profit. Less competition means more profit. Capitalism always needs more profit to survive and progress.
          Competition is the key. Protecting and forbidding competition is not capitalism.
          Pricing power is the way capitalism has been able to survive for at least the last 70 years.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Less competition means morem profit for few. More competition means more profit overall for many (revenue). It means more quality, or at least where the critical point is quality/price is at its best when talking about mass products.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Less competition means morem profit for few. More competition means more profit overall for many (revenue). It means more quality, or at least where the critical point is quality/price is at its best when talking about mass products.
              The rate of profit stays high when there is less competition for everyone. That is, when every producer can differentiate their product to get more profit. That's the way capitalism works. If you can't differentiate your product you don't make **** for profit.

Comment

That's not how it's supposed to work. That's how it can go if it's going wrong but that's not the general idea.

Just curious.. you're not a commie, are you? I mean no offense, it would just explain a lot.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

That's not how it's supposed to work. That's how it can go if it's going wrong but that's not the general idea.
                  I'm not the complaint department for those who are just finding out that it doesn't work the way it's suppose to.

Comment

so you are a commie, aren't you?
                    In da butt.

Comment

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo . . . . . . Not games !!!!

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      It has begun . Now game concepts are going to start getting patented . . . . . . . . .
                      Cool, I'm going to patent the concept of 3-D games where you walk around shooting people.

Comment

Ya Zkrib, and call 'em "First Person Shoot 'Em Ups", just to ruin the FPS acronym
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

You can't patent concepts.
                          You're not supposed to be able to patent pure concepts in a capitalist political system . The current system is a perversion . Politics and economics are to be seperated as much as possible - no "corporate donations" to political parties are allowed under capitalism .

Software patents are even more obnoxious because software is fundamentally math , and most useful patents are just patenting some formula that academics knew about for decades .

Comment

Just curious.. you're not a commie, are you? I mean no offense, it would just explain a lot.
                            You don't need to be a commie to know that a monopoly in a market sector can make ungodly amounts of profits. For example, Microsoft. The company could sell a combined package of Windows and Office for USD37 dollars and still make money. What does this say about its normal pricing scheme?

The closer you get to a monopoly, the more $$$ gets into your pocket. Thus, Disney bribedinfluenced a number of politicians to extend the copyright duration, avoiding Mickey Mouse to fall into public domain.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You're not supposed to be able to patent pure concepts in a capitalist political system.
                              The good thing about the gaming industry is there are no new concepts. No broad new concepts anyway. Everything has been done. 4x, TBS, RTS, FPS, simulations, action games, sports games, trivia games, RPG, etc. You name it, it has been done. As a result, I don't see any patents, if absurdedly granted, could stand.

Software patents are even more obnoxious because software is fundamentally math , and most useful patents are just patenting some formula that academics knew about for decades .
                              Another thing is, you don't need to have something working to apply for a patent. Therefore, you can patent any "invention" no matter how idiotic it is, because it doesn't need to work. Otherwise, all these perpetual motion machine schemes wouldn't be there.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The good thing about the gaming industry is there are no new concepts. No broad new concepts anyway. Everything has been done. 4x, TBS, RTS, FPS, simulations, action games, sports games, trivia games, RPG, etc. You name it, it has been done. As a result, I don't see any patents, if absurdedly granted, could stand.
                                Who else wants to live in UR's world of no new ideas?
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X