Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo . . . . . . Not games !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem Pekka. Sorry to bore you, but I was just commenting that I was under the impression that that is what the thread is about.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I wish to leave it to the point I made, that you shouldn't be able to patent concepts, nothing else did I say about it. That's it, I'm done.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

You just don't want anyone to challenge your claim.

Comment

Oh *tear*. Either you claim that you should be able to patent concepts, in which case you are challenging what I claim, or not. Anything else is out of what I entered to talk in this thread. Get this, I'm not interested in debating about capitalism now. Comprende? If you have low self esteem you can claim any victories you want, you can say I was so cornered I had to squeeze myself out saying I didn't come here for this or what ever excuses. What ever makes you feel good. I just don't care about debating about things like that now. **** I just woke up few hours ago.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Maybe you didn't get enough sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Which, of course, was not what I wrote that you quoted.
              Yes, but you've used the same line of reasoning on other topics. Mobile phones quickly come to mind. I'm just making a whimsical generalization from an obvious pattern of behavior.

In response to your other. . .erm. . .response, it wasn't so long ago that mobile phones couldn't send text messages let alone take and send pictures. Who would have thought of using a device for vocal communication to send words and pictures? Crazy! Even Will Wright is attempting to develop new gaming ideas. Hell, where do you think the ideas for 4x, TBS, RTS, FPS, simulations, action games, sports games, trivia games, RPG, etc. came from? Aliens? Ancient Chinese?

Reminds me of Chinese biology teacher I had in college. He opened his class by telling us that other sciences were a waste of time because everything had been done in those fields. I nearly walked out, if it wasn't near the end of the semester and I was premed and wanted the grade. Advanced course, my ass. It's no wonder that he only taught a third of that course and no other. Didn't seem to have much research going on either. Wonder if he's related.

Don't worry too much UR. You're not that predictable. I didn't expect you to respond.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Dashi,

You seem to get offended at the idea of there being no new ideas. Maybe it's causing you to be delusional.

Comment

No, just the spreading of ignorance. I was always delusional.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Name one "new" idea. Go ahead.
                    The Sims. Ultima Online. Counter Strike.

All come from the mid-90's and later, at a time we believed everything has been done already.

The whole woman market is entirely left alone, only the Sims are sold to women. New ideas will be created to tackle this market.

I personally expect "games" (more like "interaction schemes") with credible worlds in a few years. The progresses of graphics, as well as the progresses of computing power (that allow better physics as well as an increased "personality" of each individual object in the game) will make this possible in the near future IMO.
                    Last edited by Spiffor; June 2, 2005, 12:28.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

The Sims. Ultima Online. Counter Strike.

All come from the mid-90's and later, at a time we believed everything has been done already.

None of those where conceptually new, actually.

Particularily Ultima Online and Counter Strike - I find your choice of those two puzzling, but I can see where you're coming from with The Sims. But the concept of The Sims is, at it's core, the same as "playing house" which children have done for centuries, and it is not a new concept to video games, either - I believe the first game that used this concept was Keeping up with the Joneses (or some take on that phrase, I don't really remember the title).

Now, counter-strike had some new gameplay elements, but conceptually it was about as cliche as they come - a FPS "cops and robbers" game.

And Ultima Online? I really don't know what could be called new in this game... persistent multplayer worlds had been around for a while, there had been other subscription based games (I believe) and even other graphical MMOGs.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Activisions 'Little Computer People' was for me the first recognisalbe Sims type game(1985).
                        Little Computer People can be described as the "mother" of The Sims. When you load the game for the first time and personalise it with your name you'll see a house with several rooms like a kitchen, living room, bed room, etc. After some time of...

Still i think if this ever did get through into copyright law, origonality might be the least of our worries.

Higher prices definately(but then they are coming with the next gen anyway).

What i worry about is that it could be used against smaller companies that dont have the cash to fight legal battles against the big guns who might claim infringement on their concepts. Especialy if they just have to pay bucks to get their concepts registerd, and sit on them untill they feel like fileing a claim to screw someone else over from making a game.
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

When more powerful engines have been developed, it's quite possible to see 'new' gametypes. The trick is to find something original. From time to time that kind of games can be discerned... Usually they don't get the large media coverage though. Revolution: The Republic for example was original. On top of that there are endless variations on existing gametypes that can be worked out. How is that going to be patented?
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

trick is to find something original.
                            Yeah, cause "Romeo and Juliet" hasn't been done a billion times, or the concept of a "Christ Figure"...

patenting a concept is stupid and should have rocks thrown at it.â„¢
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

yea fo' sure!
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

The patent shown in the op is not really patenting a concept, it's patenting the way of scoring points. So it's a process, not a concept, thus, it may be seen as valid by some nutheads. Patenting a process to have fun would seem much harder. I hope the uspto finally gets some sense and some experts who realize that anyone in the know could easily have devised that, and that pen and paper games, board games, are all prior art. For instance, I could argue that when I was a kid, I played games where I would decide which points were scored on the fly, so prior art exists that could send the op patent to the trashcan.
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X