No announcement yet.

Women bosses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women bosses tend to be about the same as men--some are great, some are horrifying, and most are in the middle. My current boss is a woman and is really terrific--extremely supportive of her team.

But I do think women tend to feel that they have more to "prove" in the workplace, so that can be why there seems to be more problems between men and female bosses.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
      I find that they run the gamut from excellent to complete incompetents. Same as with male bosses. Overall there are differences, but qualitatively I can't say that there is much of a difference.
      Agreed wholeheartedly here
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I noticed that menopausal women are better bosses. I wonder why.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

You're just dealing with an inexperienced boss who isn't used to leading yet
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

In Air Traffic Control I have only had two female bosses (plus one who I interacted with when I was Union Rep), while I've had/interacted with seventeen male supervisors, of which two were good, four more or less competent, and the remaining twelve were incompetent to varying degrees, including many of the appalling variety.

The two direct female supervisor's were good (one was excellent), and that includes the fact that one, without meaning to, cost me my only chance to get into supervision. The remaining one (who I dealt with as Union Rep) was of the more or less competent variety (actually less) and her only flaw was that, while having taken advantage of the sex and race card to get promotions (she was black as well) she then completely forgot/ignored how she gamed the system and actively hurt other woman trying to follow the same path. Never did figure that one out.

In my field it is definitely the case that women need to be more competent, and prove themselves more. One of the good female supervisors was forced out because she had some ethics and would not collude with the chief to f**k with the workforce. The other supervisor's were spinelss. The facility (it is where I currently am) is one of the worst I have ever worked at in my life (hence the blood pressure problems).
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
              You're just dealing with an inexperienced boss who isn't used to leading yet
              About half of them were 'brand-new' so yes it could be argued that it's more of them being inexperienced. However the other half have been supervising for many years and the 2 hours long meeting was with one of them.

I suppose it is because in my own experience as a supervisor I've been able to keep myself netural emotionally as best I can and in hindsight I believe I've done a good job. Decisions that will have negative consquences on employees (such as their performance and so on) are backed up by documentation. Favorism is avoided as much as possible - once I had to fire two of my good friends due to their job performance.

For the matter of record, I do believe that women can be excellent supervisors and there are male idiot bosses. Just that in my own experience I haven't had much luck with getting a competent female boss.
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

On the flip side of my earlier comments, my wife's boss is excellent, only word to describe her management skills. Also, the woman who handles human recources is really tops. She's no nonsense, very mature and sharp.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                X