Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was walking to work the other day when a man approached me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I was walking to work the other day when a man approached me...

... asking if I would sign a petition to raise the minimum wage for the state of New Mexico to $7.50 from $5.15 (federal min. wage). Unfortunatly/fortunatly Im not a registered voter in this state yet so I couldnt sign.

As I kept walking I wondered what would be the impact upon the state economy if the minimum wage was raised so high? Alaska's minimum wage is $7.15 and cost of living is a hell of a lot higher.

What do you guys think?

Re: So I was walking to work the other day when a man approached me...

Originally posted by Space05us
    ... asking if I would sign a petition to raise the minimum wage for the state of New Mexico to $7.50 from $5.15 (federal min. wage). Unfortunatly/fortunatly Im not a registered voter in this state yet so I couldnt sign.

As I kept walking I wondered what would be the impact upon the state economy if the minimum wage was raised so high? Alaska's minimum wage is $7.15 and cost of living is a hell of a lot higher.

What do you guys think?
    we are raising the minimum wage in our state. In fact, it started as a petition, then we had a vote in 2004. But we have to do another vote in 2006 for it to take effect. But politicians are trying to raise it before then. so I can't say what the effects are, but we'll see.

everyone always says it leads to unemployment, but it looks to me like good economic times follow rises in minimum wage.

Comment

In my opinion it can only be a good thing. It does undercut net profits for business, but will redistribute more wealth among the lower classes.

Reactionaries will tell you that the sky is falling and that businesses won't hire as many workers as they did before. They will tell you that business won't have as much money to reinvest into themselves to create more jobs. But I don't think that's the case, especially among the big corporations, where the extra cash just goes into stockholders bank accounts and upper level executives salaries and stock options anyway.

Where it would hurt the most is small business, and this is often cited in sound byte news reports. But those businesses will adjust.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

What about cost of living? Would the raise in minimum wage be followed by a raise in rent, utilities, food?

Comment

It depends on how much the costs (or perceived costs) of the item in question are impacted by low wage in-state labor and what the market will bear.

A lot of fast food and retail places pay above minimum anyway, at least in California, where state minimum is $6.75 and the going rate for entry level fast-food/Starbucks type work is around $8.00

The overall impact is pretty minimal over time.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The minimum wage's impact is based mostly on how high it is versus the market wage.

$7.15 may not be above the lowest market wage for unskilled labor, and, if so, you have to ask yourself why a minimum wage is needed at all.

If the minimum wage is well above the lowest market wage for unskilled labor then you get unemployment for some unskilled labor, as employers make do without extra hands. In turn, the unemployment distorts the market wages downward for those unskilled workers who have jobs.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Oregon's is above 7.15, and it is a lot cheaper to live there than Maryland, or Minnesota

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The minimal wage here is 143 USD. Per month .
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

End result is higher inflation.

Who wants that?
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

It would be a good move for vendors of crap like McDonalds. It would mean that poor people, who live off their ****, would have more money to spend on it.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                        End result is higher inflation.
                        Not necessarily, because it simply is a redistribution of a company's earnings.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Which no company likes, hence there are fewer jobs offered for that rate of pay.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger Not necessarily, because it simply is a redistribution of a company's earnings.
                            You need to get your economics straight, UR. The result is mainly a redistribution from consumers (some of whom are low wage workers) to low wage workers. But you still get low wage workers pushed out of the market, since companies are unwilling to hire the low wage / low skill workers a the higher wage. Any good economist would know that much. Empirical studies indicate that, all else equal, a ten percent rise in the minimum wage (after adjusting for inflation) reduces employment by about three percent. Net result is that raising the minimum wage increases prices, and decreases employment ... not such a good deal. A far better policy would be to have negative income tax for low wage workers, which increases employment, with little or no effect on prices.
                            Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Any good economist would know that much. Empirical studies indicate that, all else equal, a ten percent rise in the minimum wage (after adjusting for inflation) reduces employment by about three percent. Net result is that raising the minimum wage increases prices, and decreases employment ... not such a good deal.
                              So has Card and Krueger's study on this been discredited or fallen out of favor with economists?
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                              X