Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was walking to work the other day when a man approached me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi So has Card and Krueger's study on this been discredited or fallen out of favor with economists?
    The Card and Krueger study has been discredited. Card and Krueger asked managers what they thought would happen to hours woprked if the minimum wage was raised. A subsequent study (by Murphy and Welsch IIRC) looked at the actual time cards in the same establishments and and found the same empirical results that all the previous studies did ... a ten percent rise in the minimum wage (after adjusting for inflation) reduces employment by about three percent.
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
      The Card and Krueger study has been discredited. Card and Krueger asked managers what they thought would happen to hours woprked if the minimum wage was raised. A subsequent study (by Murphy and Welsch IIRC) looked at the actual time cards in the same establishments and and found the same empirical results that all the previous studies did ... a ten percent rise in the minimum wage (after adjusting for inflation) reduces employment by about three percent.
      Yep, I saw the second study and it totally ripped the Card and Krueger study apart. The way Card and Krueger measured things was ridiculous!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You need to get your economics straight, UR. The result is mainly a redistribution from consumers (some of whom are low wage workers) to low wage workers. But you still get low wage workers pushed out of the market, since companies are unwilling to hire the low wage / low skill workers a the higher wage. Any good economist would know that much. Empirical studies indicate that, all else equal, a ten percent rise in the minimum wage (after adjusting for inflation) reduces employment by about three percent. Net result is that raising the minimum wage increases prices, and decreases employment ... not such a good deal. A far better policy would be to have negative income tax for low wage workers, which increases employment, with little or no effect on prices.
        that's false because companies already operate with the minimum number of employees to operate. They can't fire any more or they wouldn't have enough people to provide service.

And don't tell me companies aren't running bare minimum. My last company we were over worked, and my current company we are over worked. These companies simply refuse to hire more workers. They are trying to squeeze every ounce of productivity out of as few workers as possible.

I'm not a robot, eventually I get tired of it. That's why I change jobs every 4 years or so.

Comment

But you still get low wage workers pushed out of the market, since companies are unwilling to hire the low wage / low skill workers a the higher wage. Any good economist would know that much.
          It's not that simple. Giving low wage workers a raise generally results in higher productivity.

Net result is that raising the minimum wage increases prices, and decreases employment ... not such a good deal.
          An increase in wages for a segment of the society does not automatically result in higher prices.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Three percent or three percentage points?
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              An increase in wages for a segment of the society does not automatically result in higher prices.
              For certain commodities, yes it does.

Comment

When the price of basic commodities is controlled, it stays the same.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Most countries don't have price controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    that's false because companies already operate with the minimum number of employees to operate. They can't fire any more or they wouldn't have enough people to provide service.
                    Firms generally operate with the minimum number of employees for a given level of output. Thats part of "the all else equal ". When prices increase, the quantity demanded declines, hence the decline in employment.

It's not that simple. Giving low wage workers a raise generally results in higher productivity.
                    If increasing wages increases productivity and hence profits, then wouldn't these greedy, profit grubbing firms do it on their own?

Then where doe s the money come from to pay the wages?

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                    Three percent or three percentage points?
                    The standard economic measure is called an elasticity (percentage change in x with respect to a percentage change in y), so there is a three percent decline, not percentage point decline.
                    Old posters never die.
                    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Just to be painfully clear, that's a 3% decrease in overall employment, not just a 3% decrease in employment of those at the low end of the scale?

If so, then that's a pretty huge change. I didn't know the impact was that big. Previously, I didn't think a minimum wage was that big of deal, but now I'm compelled to be against it.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You were against it before.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Mildly, at least at what I perceived to be a relatively low minimum wage in the US.
                          Last edited by DanS; May 28, 2005, 12:17.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

Or less than minimum, which is what we had to do in the last few years. Quality of service had been a problem for awhile.

What would've helped would have been the decrease in taxes at the lower end of the pay scale, as suggested, or not scaling back public services for low-income families, which took money out of their pockets that could have been used on luxuries such as dining out.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

In Kansas it's $2,65/hour,... omg. I hope life is a bit cheap there.
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                                The minimal wage here is 143 USD. Per month .
                                lol.. these people live on the streets then no..? How on earth could anyone pay rent with such a miserably small amount of money!
                                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                                X