Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was walking to work the other day when a man approached me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Danes are on the Euro, right? $17/hour and 6% unemployment sounds pretty damn good over here!
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
      The Danes are on the Euro, right? $17/hour and 6% unemployment sounds pretty damn good over here!
      Nope, we are not a member of the euro, we still run the hard currency called danish crowns.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What the exchange rate vs. U.S. $$?
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Don't hang me if i'm not that accurate, but if my memory isn't wrong, then it was 1:7.5 some twenty years ago and now it's 1:5.25.

Edit : that's $ : DKK
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Putting a few more bucks into the hands of the working poor means they'll spend it on stuff, sales go up, eveyone wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              Putting a few more bucks into the hands of the working poor means they'll spend it on stuff, sales go up, eveyone wins.
              Nah, that is just leftist propaganda, that only works if you are a bit to the left of attila the hun .

Steven Weinberg

Comment

See my post. It results mostly in inflation.

Comment

Did he say "hi", or some other variation of the same, the man that approached you?

I presume he did of course, I mean its rude not too. Especially if you're wanting somebody to sign something for you, but you never do know.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Just to be painfully clear, that's a 3% decrease in overall employment, not just a 3% decrease in employment of those at the low end of the scale?
                    I think it is 3% decline in employment on the low end. I will have to check. My previous post was unclear.

But the $ have to come from somewhere ... other consumers ... so that's a wash. The harm is to people who would like to work but get pushed out of the market.
                    Old posters never die.
                    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                      But the $ have to come from somewhere ... other consumers ... so that's a wash.
                      Wrong. The working poor spend their money quicker, so the positive effects of the spending are accelerated.

Hoarded money doesn't help the economy; spent money does.

Comment

Wrong. The working poor spend their money quicker, so the positive effects of the spending are accelerated.
                        A dollar is a dollar, no matter who spends it.

"Hoarded money" is known as savings, which becomes investment. Thinking that only spent money helps the economy is one reason why we don't save enough to replace our existing capital stock.
                        Old posters never die.
                        They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

I really think a far better method of raising wages would be a negative income tax. Put the burden of the additional wage beyond producitivity on society, and not just the employer. That would get rid of the employment effect of the minimum wage.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Hoarded money doesn't help the economy; spent money does

This is the same BS that Kidicious says . Adam Smith is right (as he usually is about things economics), savings is very important to an economy. The US has VERY low savings, which has been boosted by foriegn investment, which we have no idea how long it'll last. China has already made noises of buying up Euros instead of dollars.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran is right.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Money doens't do anything. It's just a piece of paper. Even if it's true that the rich don't spend their money, then what you're suggesting is equivalent to simply introducing more money into the system - which means that while the working man may have more pieces of paper, they aren't worth as much.

Comment

Working...
                                X