Why intelligent design isn’t.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeBro

Often read such things - but isn't the entire point of a religious belief that you don't need proof to believe something? Therefore one can hardly argue about it.....
    Yes, but for some reason his religious belief does not include God as the creator of the physical world because there is no scientific evidence of it.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
      What is so outlandish about God remaining dormant?
      I just wonder if god overslept a little and hurried down to fix the soulthing those 2ky ago, or if the first sentients made angry calls to him demanding their souls.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

Nor is their any scientific evidence that God created souls, yet you believe it - why?

Sorry, I missed your post.

I guess when it comes to the physical world, I rely on scientific evidence. But what science is there that can apply to the spiritual realm?

If you can think of what science studies the spiritual realm, let me know.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

I just wonder if god overslept a little and hurried down to fix the soulthing those 2ky ago, or if the first sentients made angry calls to him demanding their souls.

I just don't see how not believing in God as being a busybody means that this disproves my own personal belief in God.

Comment

Sorry, I missed your post.

I guess when it comes to the physical world, I rely on scientific evidence. But what science is there that can apply to the spiritual realm?

If you can think of what science studies the spiritual realm, let me know.
            That's fair enough, but science hasn't proven that evolution occured without God's help, so why would you jump to this conclusion? By definition, God is all-powerful, so it doesn't make sense to me that you believe he created souls yet had nothing to do with the physical bodies that contain those souls.
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

That's fair enough, but science hasn't proven that evolution occured without God's help, so why would you jump to this conclusion? By definition, God is all-powerful, so it doesn't make sense to me that you believe he created souls yet had nothing to do with the physical bodies that contain those souls.

Well believe it or not, I won't argue with you as to whether or not you should believe what I believe in.

Comment

Anyway, I just got a divine revelatiion from God at this moment.

God is telling me to take a break by going shopping for some new clothes, watch Phantom Menace later, on DVD, and then work on my thesis some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  What fundamental questions? You mean metaphysics? Hm, I don't think those questions are in any way "fundamental."
                  You could start with why the Standard Model fails to explain the mass of fundamental particles, for one.

Or a specific reason certain quantities are conserved.

Whether conservation applies (and for which quantities) in a singularity

The lifetime of the proton.

I'm sure with only a little digging, there are a few thousand more one could identify.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

What is so outlandish about God remaining dormant?
                    The whole concept of god is outlandish if you approach it having never considered it before.

Anyway, I just got a divine revelatiion from God at this moment.

God is telling me to take a break by going shopping for some new clothes, watch Phantom Menace later, on DVD, and then work on my thesis some more.
                    Now we know that the voices you receive in your head are madness and not divine revelation. Why would anyone pay for the Phantom Menace on DVD and then watch it?

Comment

I don't have anything against evolution being taught in school, as long as it is not taught that evolution is proof that God doesn't exist.
                      I have been taught evolution at school in the Evil Atheist countryâ„¢, and I've never heard such a thing. I cannot imagine that Yankistani science teachers use evolution as "proof" that God doesn't exist.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro

Why would anyone pay for the Phantom Menace on DVD and then watch it?
                        It could have been worse - seeing it and then pay
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Nor is their any scientific evidence that God created souls, yet you believe it - why?
                          Belief in a diety is illogical to begin with. Why demand that it comform to logic?
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Belief in a diety is illogical to begin with. Why demand that it comform to logic?
                            Has to disagree. When you are sitting in a cave an see lightning split trees etc. then it is natural to explain that by some kind of divinity, but since the discoveries that explains these happenings, then you are right - belief in thundergods, jesus etc. doesn't make sense any more.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: Why intelligent design isn’t.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              scientific advances which proved previous creationist dogma was false (the young earth "theory", the six day creation "theory", etc...).
                              there were no scientific advances that proved those things false

there is just a lot of experimental and observational evidences, and well-made built up theories which are not in agreement with 'young earth' and 'six day' theory

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I have been taught evolution at school in the Evil Atheist countryâ„¢, and I've never heard such a thing. I cannot imagine that Yankistani science teachers use evolution as "proof" that God doesn't exist.
                                generally it is about the same time that they are being taught evolution that they start to become less christian

in the US

which leads some to beleive causation

I look at the ages, and all the things involved, and think it is more likely just people beginning to think for themselves and rebeling against what they were taught when they were young

there is proobably a little bit properly associated though, because it takes a deeper thinker to accept scientific theories and the Bible than to accept one or the other (and most aren't)

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X