Why intelligent design isn’t.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap

Because that idea, even if it allows for the idea of God, contradicts the "Word of God", and for faiths that are built on the interpretation or literal assumption of the Bible, this throws a chinck in the works.

If the Bible is wrong about Man being made on the sixth day in the image of God, then Revelations could be wrong about the end times, or one could pausibly challange the denounciation of homosexuals in the bible, so forth and so on.
    That's the problem with a literal interpretation of the Bible. People need to remember that the Bible was written by humans and translated many times.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
      Actually, yes.

I believe in the scientific theory of evolution in which God had no role in. However, he chose to give humans the gift of having a spirit/soul.
      It's not like science has proven that God had no role in evolution. Why are you so against the idea of God starting and directing physical evolution?

Comment

Remember the thread in which Boris and others have stated why people who believe in the scientific theory of evolution usually choose not to enter into a prolonged debate with creationists? Remember how they discussed the various ways in which creationists manipulate the form of debate to make it unfair for those who believe in scientific evolution?

Well for those reasons, I am not going to waste my time debating with you right now.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Why are you so against the idea of God starting and directing physical evolution?

because it cant be scientificly proven
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            Yes, I just wish that they'd stop insisting that the rest of us have to believe it.
            Maybe when creationists stop trying to **** with science courses in our schools, the rest of us will stop ridiculing them.
            Yep i completely agree on both points. I just dont understand how anyone can believe that their view is the only one worth having, or that in the whole wide universe; a book or philosophy from thousands of years ago from one tiny speck of a planet is the 'truth'.

Of course the same can be leveled at science BUT atleast science has the flexible framework of being able to be constantly worked on and improved upon and disproved without any particularly terrible outcome. Something religion could learn from and avoid lots of bloodshed
            Last edited by child of Thor; May 25, 2005, 11:41.
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

to child of thor post
              Bunnies!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR

Comment

Remember the thread in which Boris and others have stated why people who believe in the scientific theory of evolution usually choose not to enter into a prolonged debate with creationists? Remember how they discussed the various ways in which creationists manipulate the form of debate to make it unfair for those who believe in scientific evolution?

Well for those reasons, I am not going to waste my time debating with you right now.
                I'm not asking for debate, nor am I a biblical creationist. I'm just trying to understand why someone who calls himself a christian would come to believe that God has nothing to do with physical creation.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
                  Why are you so against the idea of God starting and directing physical evolution?

because it cant be scientificly proven
                  There are many things science can't explain.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

Yep i completely agree on both points. I just dont understand how anyone can believe that their view is the only one worth having, or that in the whole wide universe; a book or philosophy from thousands of years ago is the 'truth'.

Of course the same can be leveled at science BUT atleast science has the flexible framework of being able to be constantly worked on and improved upon and disproved without any particularly terrible outcome. Something religion could learn from and avoid lots of bloodshed

A well reasoned statement, Child. I am all for theological courses and philosophy courses. I have found both interesting when I was an undergraduate student and fully participated in the required theology course I took.

Comment

Actually, yes.

I believe in the scientific theory of evolution in which God had no role in. However, he chose to give humans the gift of having a spirit/soul.
                      Interestingly Many of the pagan belief systems have a simular core to them, in particular in the Nordic belief system Man simply was given the breath of life+intelligence and 'Orlog', which is like a fate of sorts. After that for most men and women they were on their own.

'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

I'm not asking for debate, nor am I a biblical creationist. I'm just trying to understand why someone who calls himself a christian would come to believe that God has nothing to do with physical creation.

Fine -- if you're sincerely curious as to what my beliefs are and you're asking this question out of curiosity I will reply later on. Right now, I'm just dropping in and out of Apolyton, taking brief breaks as I work on my thesis paper.

But the minute that this turns into a creationist vs. evolution debate between you and I . . . . . .

Comment

Fine -- if you're sincerely curious as to what my beliefs are and you're asking this question out of curiosity I will reply later on. Right now, I'm just dropping in and out of Apolyton, taking brief breaks as I work on my thesis paper.

But the minute that this turns into a creationist vs. evolution debate between you and I . . . . . .
                          How could it when I am not a creationist nor an evolutionist?

Comment

true but the big difference is that science knows it own limitations and tries to reset those boundries...

and if you want to replace a working scientific theory with something not scientific without an scientific explaination you have no ground to stand on.
                            they can not prove that the evo theory is wrong (scientificly or otherwise) i am all for explaining the religious way of how the universe was formed but then in a different class...a science class is there to teach students basic theories that the can apply to solve problems or apply to the reality of the world around with great enough precision...I.D. doesnt do that thus making the science class void.
                            Bunnies!

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

How could it when I am not a creationist nor an evolutionist?
                              Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ....

ID/creationism isn't about science - it's nothing but religion.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword

true but the big difference is that science knows it own limitations and tries to reset those boundries...

and if you want to replace a working scientific theory with something not scientific without an scientific explaination you have no ground to stand on.
                                they can not prove that the evo theory is wrong (scientificly or otherwise) i am all for explaining the religious way of how the universe was formed but then in a different class...a science class is there to teach students basic theories that the can apply to solve problems or apply to the reality of the world around with great enough precision...I.D. doesnt do that thus making the science class void.
                                I don't have anything against evolution being taught in school, as long as it is not taught that evolution is proof that God doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X