What's wrong with my resume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBJECTIVE: To get your job.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Your cover letter needs more work, TMM. The last two paragraphs can be dropped (hardworking etc.). Try to match up your specific skills with their requirements, so the screener don't have to go hunt for them. Remember, what you need to do is to match their basic criteria with this, and everything else you can leave for the actual interview.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You're assuming that matching the criteria is sufficient to guaratee an interview. Since I never got my degree, I'm afraid that my resume will always be dropped in favor of someone who did unless I can give them another reason.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          You're assuming that matching the criteria is sufficient to guaratee an interview.
          Not absolutely, but there's a good chance of that will happen.

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          Since I never got my degree, I'm afraid that my resume will always be dropped in favor of someone who did unless I can give them another reason.
          Hm, not having a degree would be quite an obstacle for any position that requiring it, and overcoming such an obstacle needs concentrated effort. In short, focus on why not having a degree is not a problem, such as you performed well in previous jobs that required a degree. Don't just mention you have n years or experience, or having a certain set of skills.

Spell out everything, such as "You may noticed that I do not have a degree in chemisty, yet this deficiency has never been a hinderance to my performance. Quote a concrete example here and I have a reference to prove this."
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

So, anyway, I now work in a camera store.

Comment

Good work. Now get cracking on that resume

Comment

Meh.

Comment

Not having a degree isn't that big of an obstacle if you have suffcient work experience.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Not having a degree is not a big obstacle if I can get to the interview.

The day I walked into that store to apply was the same day the district manager was visiting, and we got to talking. The next thing I know, he's telling me I've been hired, and not to worry about the rest of the application.

If I can get an interview, I'm golden.

Comment

Do you think it wise to add a publishing credit even if it is not relevent to the job?

Say, you are applying to a unit of government for an administrative position in a technical field but have a mainstream work of fiction coming out in the mainstream press in the near future?

And what would be the elegant way to consisely stress that it is not POD or vanitiy press?

Comment

I may not be the best advisor since I've been headhunted in jobshift, but my nickle is that you are too "noisy". My experience with HRM's is that they often doesn' t know sh!t about what qualifications the applicants are supposed to have. Reduce to simple headlines and elaborate when you get an interview.

Please don't listen too seriously to me, I might have an idea how to get a job in a danish company but not in an american - still, I think that you are too "noisy" but maybe that is an american treat
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Publishing credit?

Comment

Working...
                          X