What's wrong with my resume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with my resume?

Three weeks, no interviews, one rejuection letter.

OBJECTIVE Find a challenging position where my broad experience
    would be put to good use.

EXPERIENCE Caschem, Bayonne, NJ (hired through Lab Support,
    Piscataway, NJ)
    Quality Control Technician, August 2000 to March 2005

Tested in process, final product, and raw material samples to
    assure that quality specs were met, as sole technician on shift. Also
    did R&D and special testing as required.
    Standardized titrants as needed. Calibrated and maintained an
    assortment of laboratory equipment, including viscometers, specific
    gravity meters, analytical balances, and Karl Fisher titrators.
    Maintained in process and final sample archives.

International Technidyne Corporation, Edison, NJ (via Lab
    Support, Piscataway, NJ)
    Quality Assurance Coordinator, August 1998 to December 1999

Ensured the proper and timely conclusion of all instrument and
    incision device complaints.
    Assembled ISO compliant documentation for new products.
    Coordinated different departments to ensure the smooth operation of the
    complaint system.
    Trended complaint data to find problem areas and recommend possible
    solutions.

Lipton, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (via Lab Support, Elmwood Park NJ)
    Spec Scientist, May 1998 to July 1998
    Culinary (Sauces) Division, Quality Systems Group

Evaluated and entered formulation data for Ragu, Five Brothers,
    and other assorted pasta sauces into the Xspec database system.
    Assisted in the composition of a user’s manual for Xspec.
    Created new specifications.

Instrumentation Laboratories, Orangeburg, NY (via Lab Support,
    White Plains, NY)
    Data Analyst, March 1998 to May 1998

Interpreted, entered, and correlated raw data for use in
    automation of a freeze-drying process for blood products.
    Created automated spreadsheets and graphs for use in tracking the
    quality of blood gas testing reagents.

Wyeth Ayerst Lederle, Pearl River, NY (via Lab Support, Elmwood
    Park, NJ)
    Technical Writer, November 1997 to March 1998
    esilederle Formulation Group

Composed Study Plans, Study Results, SOIs, and Interim Reports.
    Transcribed Memoranda. PC support for Formulations Group.
    Developed Presentations
    Created standard forms for documents.

Nabisco, East Hanover, NJ (via Lab Support, Elmwood Park, NJ)
    Research Technician, August 1996 to October, 1997
    SPC division, Dry Mix section. Responsibilities included

Compounded and tested product samples and prototypes.
    Prepared product for analytical, micro, and shelf life studies.
    Set up and ran showings and in-company sensory tests.
    Ran shelf life studies and certain analytical procedures.

Merck, Rahway, NJ (via Manpower Technical Services, East
    Brunswick, NJ).
    Chemical Technician, March 1995 to March 1996

Prepared samples ranging from 1 mg to several kg from
    collection of over 300,000 drugs and drug candidates. Handled
    sensitive compounds.
    Handled hazardous compounds.
    Maintained inventory.

Rutgers University, Newark College of Arts and Sciences
    Tutor, Fall 1993 to Fall 1994

Instructed students in chemistry, geology, and accounting.
    Appraised computer teaching programs.
    Trained other tutors.

Hardman, Inc., Belleville, NJ
    Machine Operator Summers 1987 to 1991:

Operated and maintained packaging machines.
    Operated forklifts.
    Assisted in compounding epoxies, urethanes, and butyl rubbers.
    Ran viscosity tests.

EDUCATION Rutgers University, Newark College of Arts and Sciences
    Majored in Geology (incomplete)
    Minors in Chemistry, Physics, and Accounting.
    Graduate level courses in Geology

SPECIAL SKILLS Chemistry: Experienced in using lab equipment
    including analytical balances, penetrometers, Brookfield viscometers,
    pH meters, FTIR, NIR, and UV spectrometers, GCs, Hunter Lab Scan II
    Colorimeters, Sieve Analysis (ROTAP), Anton Paar density meters,
    Mettler Karl Fisher titrators, and an assortment of wet chemistry and
    other laboratory procedures, including but not limited to acid value,
    hydroxyl value, saponification number, unsaponifiable matter, iodine
    value, %soap, %NCO, % volatiles, melt point (capillary and drop), gel
    time (dry stick and Brookfield), and heavy metals.

Computer: Uses MS Word and MS Excel regularly, have used PowerPoint
    and Access on occasion. Some experience with Paint Shop Pro and
    Photoshop. Learns new software quickly. Builds own computers.

General: Basic mechanical, electrical, and carpentry skills. Basic
    first aid skills. Experienced with forklifts, hand jacks, powerjacks,
    drum dollies and hoists.

CERTIFICATIONS Nationally certified by the College Reading and
    Learning Association as a tutor.

References are available on request.
    The basic form hasn't changed since I pout it together back in the early ninties, and it's always worked before.

It also looks much nicer in it's native format.

Any suggestions?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

What did the reject letter say?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I think you may have too many jobs listed there. Espeically the ones where you were only there a few weeks. But I'm not a recruiter, so don't necessairly take my word for it

Comment

Rejection letters suck because they rarely give the real reason, if any reason at all. "We decided to go with someone else, thanks and good luck." A postcard with the word 'No' is what companies seem to be moving towards.

I'm too lazy to read your whole resume, but your objective is too vague. It can make you sound desperate to take anything. If it was more specific you sound more focused and goal-oriented, IMO. It also makes it easier for the HR person rather than a "Guess what I am/want?" objective.

Comment

you concentrate too much imo on the stuff you did.

you write so much about the treest that you can't identify the forest

instead of describing that you filled out excell sheets and calculated this and that, your should write a proper job description - laboratory assistant, calculations officer - what ever.
          then add things that descrbie your job: formulated and executed measurements, wrote procedures, did Q&A, wrote manuals.

You should also mention skills and not just projects, such as:
          - work under pressure and short time delivery
          - good people skilles
          - multitasking
          - leading a project from planning to execution, and results assessment.

most of the special skills you mention are **** that you are expected to either know or learn on the fly.

imagine you'd write: "skilled with writing using pen, pencils and chalk".

instead you should write: - wide array of experience in handling light and heavy lab instruments - wide experience in handling unique substances - large experience in planning and executing unique procedures and later assessing the results and process quality...

whatever.

btw, most of what i wrote would be an inexact description as i only quickly skimmed this long long file.

Comment

I've found (from employer's perspective) and had this echoed by recruiters that "objectives" are just so much wasted space.

What occurs to me is that prior to this last job, you had lots of short term jobs and then big gaps in hiring. Since you're in the initial screening phase, people don't care to sort out why, they just look at maybe the top ten or twenty of 100 or 200 resumes, and look for reasons to cull the rest.

I'd eliminate some of the prior jobs, figure out something to explain the gaps, and maybe consolidate your earlier experience to a functional blurb.

Depending on the field, a lot of resumes are sorted automatically, so incorporating acronyms and buzzwords helps, even if it's in a skills and qualifications section.

I don't know how different your job market is from San Diego, but three weeks is a short time. People I know who've recently been hired have generally been hired for jobs they first responded to three and fourt months earlier. Most companies, in three weeks, they haven't even finished gathering resumes, and sometimes, they start the process before they even have official approval to add the position, so they have people applying for jobs that don't yet (and may not ever) exist.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Stickers. Butterflys, flowers, add some color.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

A postcard with the word 'No' is what companies seem to be moving towards.

Most companies, in three weeks, they haven't even finished gathering resumes, and sometimes, they start the process before they even have official approval to add the position, so they have people applying for jobs that don't yet (and may not ever) exist.
                I've been looking for over 3 months now.

MM posted this at CG, and I editted it some. Here's a copy of that post:

Here's what I would do:

OBJECTIVE: To obtain a position as a [INSERT POSITION TITLE HERE] that would utilize my 10+ years of experience testing and analyzing analytical assays as well as my understanding of data management systems.

EXPERIENCE CasChem, Bayonne, NJ
                Quality Control Technician, August 2000 to March 2005

Performed in-process, final product, and raw material assays to assure product conformity to quality specifications
                Supported Research and Development efforts on an ongoing basis
                Calibrated and maintained an assortment of laboratory equipment, including viscometers, specific
                gravity meters, analytical balances, and Karl Fisher titration devices.
                Maintained in process and final sample archives.

International Technidyne Corporation, Edison, NJ
                Quality Assurance Coordinator, August 1998 to December 1999

Ensured the proper and timely conclusion of all instrument and incision device complaints.
                Compiled documentation for new products according to ISO quality standards
                Coordinated interdepartmental communication to ensure the smooth operation of complaint systems.
                Trended complaint data to find problem areas and recommend possible solutions.

Lab Support, Various Locations
                Various Positions, March 1995 to July 1998

Correlated, evaluated and data based formulation data for brand name food, pharmaceutical, and blood products
                Developed and/or Wrote new product specifications, process documentation, process monitoring plans, study plans, SOIs, Interim Reports, and Presentations
                Compounded and tested product samples and prototypes
                Supplied computer support and training

Rutgers University, Newark College of Arts and Sciences
                Tutor, Fall 1993 to Fall 1994

Instructed students in chemistry, geology, and accounting.
                Appraised computer-teaching programs.
                Training of other tutors

SKILLS General chemistry experience, hazardous and sensitive material handling, working knowledge of lab equipment including analytical balances, penetrometers, Brookfield viscometers, pH meters, FTIR, NIR, and UV spectrometers, GCs, Hunter Lab Scan II
                Colorimeters, Sieve Analysis (ROTAP), Anton Paar density meters, Mettler Karl Fisher titrators, and an assortment of wet chemistry and other laboratory procedures, including but not limited to acid value, hydroxyl value, saponification number, unsaponifiable matter, iodine value, %soap, %NCO, % volatiles, melt point (capillary and drop), gel time (dry stick and Brookfield), and heavy metals.

Computer: MSOffice, World Wide Web programs, Xspec,[LIST AS MANY RELEVENT SW PROGRAMS YOU CAN THINK OF THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO USE, OR HAVE USED IN THE PAST] various other software, competent with computer hardware

CERTIFICATIONS Nationally certified by the College Reading and
                Learning Association as a tutor.

EDUCATION Rutgers University, Newark College of Arts and Sciences
                Major in Geology (3 of 4 years completed)
                Minor in Chemistry

References are available on request.

Made your OBJECTIVE a little more precise, removed how you got the positions you have had, changed the wording on some of the job duties, removed some duties that would be implied, consolodated temp positions, removed some irrelevant jobs, added some job responsibilities to SKILLS, removed GENERAL SKILLS (could be listed as Hobbies/Interests), removed all minors but Chemistry, moved education to the end since it is not what we want to emphasize, changed "incomplete" to "3 of 4" to make it more positive and makes it appear that you want to finish if given the opportunity...

When you look at a job posting I would recommend identifying keywords and making sure they are in your resume IF you have said experience.

There's probably more you can do. You have a lot to do with quality issues, maybe add that to the objective.

---

I don't think that the objective is a waste, but it can be if too long and not to the point. I even put a "profile" section in my resume, which is really just a way to throw in all the buzz words.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Aren't people in many areas moving towards a litany of "successes" rather than credentials? Depends on your area, I guess.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I work in QC, Dan --- most of my "successes" involved delaying or stopping $50,000 product shipments.

Comment

Just realized I can upload the document here.

I'm going to incorporate Japher's suggestions (thanks again!)

MtG, you're right, it's a bit early to panic, but I'm without income at this point, so it's better to get everything right the first time around.
                      Attached Files

Comment

you forgot to slip a $20 in there
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

My $2:16 cents for what they are worth, is that your resume seemed to me to read more like a position description. Instead of what you achieved in those roles. An employment consultant pointed the same thing out to me. I have attached my resume, sans contact, present job and personal details, so you can see where I am coming from. Also use alot of punchy language and don't be afriad of building yourself up.

When I have hired people previously, I really look at what they achieved in their positions, then what they did, and finally where they went to school.

Hope it helps.
                          Attached Files
                          "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                          "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Experiences drawn from my time working with the VP of Haldane and Associates, here in Columbia

* Provide numbers. The example you gave just a minute ago is a beauty! most of my "successes" involved delaying or stopping $50,000 product shipments. FANTASTIC! How many? How much total money did YOUR fast action and keen eye save the company? Talk it up!

* Likewise, the bit about coordinating between several departments...how many departments (and, if it won't eat up too much real estate, what were they?). Did your position as liaison between these groups facilitate savings for the company? If so, how much? (estimates are okay too, provided you have the support of your superiors when they call to check!)

* Assembled ISO docs...too weak....did you actually do any of the writing, or just put the docs together from existing stuffs? If you wrote, for how many products?
                            Personally, I'd lose line items like (handled hazardous materials and took inventory, and mention them in the "other skills" segment (Familiar with HazMat procedures & Inventory Control Systems...or something like that).

Bullet points are your friends...put your best skills in hard-hitting bullet points to draw the employer's eye to them, and to make room for that, ditch everything not directly related to the job you're applying for.

Carpentery skills, for example...very handy, but unless you're applying for a job where they might get used, toss them and make room for job-relevant notations. During the interview process, you can certainly bring up your non-job-relevant skills, and in fact, this is a good way to build rapport, but keep the resume focused *specifically* on the job that you're trying for.

Also, during the interview, adopt some of the same mannerisms as the interviewee without being obvious about it (practice this with your friends first!)....people like hiring people like them....not a surefire "in" but it'll give you a leg-up.

If you need more, PM me!

-=Vel=-
                            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

PS: During salary negotiations, NEVER play the first card...if they ask how much you're thinking (and most good interviewers WILL), stall them and do this EXACTLY:

1) Tell them that you did not come to the interview prepared to discuss salary.....

2) As you are saying this, grab your pen and meet the interviewee's eyes. "but what ballpark were you thinking?"

3) MOST IMPORTANT THING after this is to BE QUIET!!!! Keep your dang mouth shut and maintain eye contact. Be prepared to write...keep that pen poised over the paper....then wait.

USE the silence.

People hate silences, and the interviewee WILL fill it.

Oh...and try not to choke when you hear the answer...

-=Vel=-
                              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X