Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creationism on the rise in Kans... the Netherlands?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creationism on the rise in Kans... the Netherlands?!

Source: here and here (in Dutch). Translation:

Minister wants debate evolution theory

THE HAGUE Minister Van der Hoeven of Education and Science wants to host a debate about evolution theory and the origin of life. Next fall she wants to have a hearing on her department with scientists and representatives of a number of religions.

In the Volkskrant [Dutch newspaper] Van der Hoeven says that evolution theory is not complete and that there are always new things to discover. She says that reactions to religious theories are often negative.

The Christian Democratic politician wants to have a inter-cultural discussion that should get a place within science. Among others she wants to invite phycisian [and former minister of health care] Borst and [eminent Dutch] biologist Plasterk.

---

Heavy criticism on planned evolution debate

RIJSWIJK A lot of criticism has come from both the scientific and political community on the intention of minister Van der Hoeven to have a debate about the origin of life and the theory of evolution. Genetics professor dr. Plasterk said the minister is incapable of seperating church and state.

According to Plasterk, Van der Hoeven has shown an interest in the idea of Intelligent Design in the past, an American philosophy which beliefs that there is an 'intelligent design' behind life on earth.

The PvdA [Labour Party], LPF [populist party founded by Pim Fortuyn] and D66 [Democratic Party] don't see any value in such a debate. According to MP Lambrechts (D66) it was agreed 6 years ago that all schools in the Netherlands should teach the theory of evolution.
    Noooooooooooo!!!!! Kill me, kill me now...

As usual the Christian fundies in the Netherlands are all too eager to immitate and outdo their counterparts in the US. But over here we're not talking about some backward state in the middle of nowhere in the south, we're talking about the national government! The Minister of Science for crying out loud!!!

Explain to me again how these people got to be the largest political party in a country which is predominantly atheist?

She says that reactions to religious theories are often negative.
    No sh*t! Religion is not science, you stupid twit...

This is more proof Christian political parties are EVIL and should be outlawed. Religion should stay as far away from politics as possible.

Okay, I'm done now. End of rant...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

But over here we're not talking about some backward state in the middle of nowhere in the south,

You never actually looked at a map of the US, have you?

Comment

Just shows you how far in the nowhere they are
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Waiting for CyberShy to arrive...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

I'm sure that in the Netherlands these biblebashers are going to get eaten for lunch...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My god, the plauge of stupidity is spreading.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              I'm sure that in the Netherlands these biblebashers are going to get eaten for lunch...
              Don't be too sure. We are definitely not the country we were ten years ago. To paraphrase Blind Lemon Jefferson: "Conservatives all around me, conservatives everywhere I look..."
              Once again...

Comment

You'd think the world is about to come to an end because someone wants to hold a HEARING. omgomg.

I say dialogue on topics of mutual interest between people from different fields of a democratic society never hurt anyone.

But over here we're not talking about some backward state in the middle of nowhere in the south, we're talking about the national government!
                Obviously, the state of Kansas wasn't created where it is today, it evolved into the Midwest from the South.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                  You'd think the world is about to come to an end because they want to hold a HEARING. omgomg.

I say dialogue on topics of mutual interest between people from different fields of a democratic society never hurt anyone.

Obviously, the state of Kansas wasn't created where it is today, it evolved into the Midwest from the South.
                  Mutual interest?? The only interest here is the interest of fundies trying to rewind the clock back to the 19th century.

I'm glad Plasterk already declined the invitation...
                  Once again...

Comment

You can't deny they have a mutual interest in explaining the origins of life. You make it seem like religious people are always out to distort "the truth", whereas it's my impression they are eagerly searching for answers to many of the same questions that scientists are researching.

I hardly see anything negative come out of bringing the two groups together at a hearing, the worst that could happen is that one side will fall asleep or something.

Comment

I bet it isn't just Christian fundimentalists but also Muslim fundimentalists who love this idea.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Creationism on the rise in Kans... the Netherlands?!

Originally posted by Locutus
                        Source: here and here (in Dutch). Translation:

As usual the Christian fundies in the Netherlands are all too eager to immitate and outdo their counterparts in the US. But over here we're not talking about some backward state in the middle of nowhere in the south, we're talking about the national government! The Minister of Science for crying out loud!!!

Explain to me again how these people got to be the largest political party in a country which is predominantly atheist?

No sh*t! Religion is not science, you stupid twit...

This is more proof Christian political parties are EVIL and should be outlawed. Religion should stay as far away from politics as possible.

Okay, I'm done now. End of rant...
                        Maybe you're the one out of touch.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

my college, Gustavus Adolphus, had a dialogue between some leading creationists and evolutionists

my freinds who went (I did not) said that it was interesting, and that both sides scored points

but that there was a lot of dodging arround

it is often useful to hear about what others think.... and why they think it

btw, my freinds all were (And are) evolutionists

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

in a nutshell just what are these creationsists claim? that the monkey ate the apple?
                            that is completely alien

Comment

She says that reactions to religious theories are often negative.
                              Really? Which theories are those? I'm not aware of a single religious scientific theory. In fact, such a thing is an oxymoron.

Who is this woman? Does she have a science background? Well, obviously not, since she'd say such a stupid thing.

How is evolution not being "complete" a problem? How many theories are "complete" that she doesn't want to debate? I don't see her taking on quantum mechanics.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X