No announcement yet.

Permitting immigration to relieve wage pressures is not liberal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since these are liberal wet dreams, I had assumed the government interventions were being kept down?

Japan under the MITI regime (sort of corporatist thing where everyone was hand in glove) was NOT the liberal land of milk and honey in its (actual not just said)policies.

So I would share your outrage about people talking the liberal talk but not walking the walk....kinda how canadians feel about many US trade policies....'free trade' is 'whatever benefits us now short term'. But the solution is not more protectionism but more liberalization.*

Also, I differ from Imran and most people in that I see trade, labour, legal, and currency harmonization and liberalization as a necessary part of greater political harmonization and supra-nationalism.

It's got to be a TOTAL package: regs, labour, goods, and even policy in general or one of the out of balance portions of the equation will irritate the other portions.

If you don't have the death of the nation-state as sovereign as your end goal, then you are not really interested in creating wealth and creating REAL equality of opportunity (over the long-term).

PA:
    umm....I think I might be dumb....but all I'm seeing are red herrings. What exactly are you on about??

*note: I'm not totally rabid here, I'd agree that we have seen plenty of historical examples of temporary protectionist policy regimes serving as an 'incubator' for 'native industries'....but that doesn't change the fact that the long-term goal of even an 'incubated' (babied?) company/industry/region should be level competition in the open market as soon as possible. How soon is a matter for 'smart people' to decide.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Re: Re: Permitting immigration to relieve wage pressures is not liberal

Originally posted by Kidicious
      Which word do you not understand, "free" or "market."
      He understands as much as you do, that is neither.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Permitting immigration to relieve wage pressures is not liberal

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

He understands as much as you do, that is neither.
        If that what a degree in Economics does to you...
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Both you and Kid have them. They obviously aren't worth that much.

Comment

Kiddy does not. I've seen his posts before. That's why I never bother debating with him.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                Kiddy does not. I've seen his posts before. That's why I never bother debating with him.
                Self-pwnage

Comment

Third world countries actually invest too much in (tertiary) education they would get far better economic returns by plouging the cash wasted subsidising on the politically influential urban elite's children through university into primary and seconday education for the rural poor (women especially).

But PA's argument speaks to the contradiction at the heart of the Nation State.
                  The nation state originally came into existance due to the pressures to provide property rights and rule of law - however as it does this only over a specific geographic area then it is becoming increasingly hard to reconcile the sovereignty of the nation-state with the desire of it's citizens to have freedom of trade globally.
                  yes, this is correct. Nancy Birsdsall and Psacharopoulous both argue that giving woman at least four years of education decreases family size, increases efficieny, reduces child labor, and reduces children born as 'insurance policy'
                  furthermore, you can compare how education in East Asia and Latin American differed, and how their growth rates were different. East Asia concentrated the majority of their budget on primary and secondary education, while LA spent a large percent of theirs (24%) on tertiary, which has very little returns to society, and very large returns to the individual.
                  East Asia has been closing the gap with the first world, LA has stagnated, with growth rates close to 0.0%.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

kid has a degree in econ i thought?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

from which school?

Comment

Fresno State
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

the bulldogs eh

Comment

They play USC this year, that should be a good game
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

as much as i hate to say it though, kid is right. economic equilibrium can be acheived in a closed economy, but with imports and exports, economic equilibrium is achieved throughout the world market, in all markets - loanable funds, foreign exchange, labor, net capital flows etc.

if you believe in allowing free trade, then you should also believe in allowing capital and labor mobility.

Comment

Working...
                                X