Permitting immigration to relieve wage pressures is not liberal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permitting immigration to relieve wage pressures is not liberal

Allowing immigration to relieve wage pressures is not a free-market or liberal thing to do. It is akin to the government choosing which labour areas they want additional labour provided for: central state planning of wages and prices.

The free-market, liberal thing to do would be to allow wages to adjust and reach an equilibrium.

Discuss.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

You are letting them reach equilibrium. Global equilibrium.

Good try, though.

Comment

Uhh, the immigrants themselves decide both if they want to immigrate at all to the target country and in what occupation they wish to be in.

Saying that goverment tries to manipulate the job market of a whole nation when it allows immigration (inter-nation movement) without limits is like saying that goverment tries to manipulate the job market of invididual cities when it allows intra-nation movement without limits.

QED IMHO

Comment

We should have no barriers to immigration or worker movement anywhere in the world for any reason, that's the liberal free market thing to do.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
          We should have no barriers to immigration or worker movement anywhere in the world for any reason, that's the liberal free market thing to do.
          Not possible.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Now if you want to keep wages high within a nation, the solution would be a efficiently enforced minimum wage. This would demand that illegal immigration and thus the large pool of illegally and too cheaply working foreign workers would be eliminated. I personally support the Maddox immigration proposal [1] [2] as a way to solve this problem.

Not possible.
            Elaborate?

Comment

Why not?
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                Now if you want to keep wages high within a nation, the solution would be a efficiently enforced minimum wage. This would demand that illegal immigration and thus the large pool of illegally and too cheaply working foreign workers would be eliminated. I personally support the Maddox immigration proposal [1] [2] as a way to solve this problem.
                A minimum wage is hardly free market and liberal!

Elaborate?
                Our nations would be targetted even more by terrorists if they could just waltz in and out.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Actually, it is the liberal thing to do, that's why I oppose it - It sips the educated people from 3rd world countries, and allows the employers to lower wages in the 1st world - and since 3rd world countries have more cultures with inherent bending to authority, the newer workers will resist this less.

I am ignoring the societal impact in this one.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

It sips the educated people from 3rd world countries
                    Good point. I said something similar about a year ago. Emigration hits the third world hard - what's the point in educating someone who will not repay the investment. Hence underinvestment in education in developing countries.
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                      Our nations would be targetted even more by terrorists if they could just waltz in and out.
                      Security like that is a compromise to the principles of individual freedom and free market. That doesn't alter the point of principle.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

One Big Union.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

That sounds gay
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

It sounds like they're doing a train. A very gay train.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The Wobblies.

Haven't heard from them in a while...
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X