What the heck am I supposed to do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck am I supposed to do??

A female friend of mine is having a drinking problem. But when I confront her with it she´s yelling at me and says that I have the problem. She´s doing quite allright by her own standards. It´s come to a point where I might have to end our friendship because I can´t stand here when she´s drunk. Tonight we were at a quiz night a english pub in my neighborhood, and she already started the night at home with some wine. So she´s already quite drunk when she gets there. And three pints later she can hardly stand up straight or have a conversation (not to mention follow the quiz). She gets out before the quiz has ended and heads for Burger King. Me and the other guy in the quiz team leave soon afterwards, the quiz is shot to hell anyway I hook up with her at BK and tell her that I want to go home because the quiz and the annoyingly rowdy crowd at the pub has ruined my mood, which is at least partly true - before I knew she was already drunk I proposed a pint at our favourite pub further down the street. Something I´m definitely not in the mood for now.

The thing is I don´t feel at all comfortable with her when she´s drunk. And she is ruining the quiz which is supposed to be a good time with some mates and a few pints. Instead I´m just sitting there worrying that she´s drinking too much. A bit self centered perhaps, but true nevertheless.

And as I mentioned above she gets real defensive when I say that I think that she drinks too much. But she does. She´s always got to have that last beer even though she almost always has one or two beers more than me. She gets real drunk real quick when earlier she was something of a bottomless pit. Classic signs of alcoholism, right?

My biggest worry is that it´s not unlikely that she tells me to take a hike if I put her on the spot and make her choose between me and the booze. And that I don´t want because when she´s not drunk she´s really nice and I really like hanging out with her. And to complicate the matter further I´m somewhat in love with her and have been since we met for the first time, four years ago. She knows that and she´s cool with it, but I´m pretty sure she uses it from time to time. I want to be with here no matter what, and she knows that. We spend a lot of time together, and she rarely socializes with others (she´s got other friends). And since my oldest friend moved to Australia just the other day, she´s one of two close friends left.

Anyway, what the **** can I do? You can´t change another person, that´s for sure.

Comments, suggestions, smart remarks?

Edit: Sorry for the rambling...
    Last edited by Zoid; May 10, 2005, 18:11.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Take a hike. Really.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

i say phuckit. you cant force anyone to change. you offered your help and advice, she says no, so its time to bail out. nothing you can do. you fulfilled your obligation as a friend.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

LoA, didn't I just say that?

Comment

ohh tought one here. she dont see she has a problem. most folks that get drunk all the time dont realize that are messing things up. Y ou have 2 options try to talk to her again non confronting and see if you ca get her to slow down tell her u like to have drinks with her but hate it whe she is sloshed drunk. or two walk away and inform other friends she has a problem and see if they can help. ur not really walking away but rather invloving other folks that care about her to try and intervene
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Yeah, the smart thing would be to bail out. But I don´t really want to, she means to much to me. I just wish she would listen to me, just once you know...

Comment

Re: What the **** am I supposed to do??

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

Comments, suggestions, smart remarks?
              Comment: You seem a bit obsessed about the quiz failing to go exactly as you'd like it to.

Suggestion(s) Relax, tell your friend you think she had a drink problem and needs help, if she does n't agree with you then at least you've tried.

Smart remark: Next time she gets too pissed to see straight, you and your mate spit roast her over the bins behind the back of Burger King.

Comment

LoA, didn't I just say that
                well, you have a credibility issue, being in the navy and all, so I figured backing you up with lend more weight to your statement.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Did you tell her when
                  she´s not drunk she´s really nice...
                  ?
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

Mrs T, I will call here tomorrow and propose we talk over a cup of coffee. If she tells me to go **** myself after I put forth my concern and suggestions on a different behaviour at least I gave it one last honest try. You can´t do more than your best, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      Take a hike. Really.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

what do quizzes have to do with pubs?

Comment

Depends. If she's partying and you're being a foreigner type of person who thinks everyone is a drunk who gets smashed every now and then, then you should just grow up.

BUT if she really is getting smashed pretty much all the time and it affects her life in other areas as well, as well as your friendship, then she definitely has a problem.

You have to ask yourself. Are you willing to help her out? If she truly has an alcohol problem, it's not very simple. She could never get over it. You could end up using all your energy just to get all the crap on you. So.. you need to ask yourself, how much do you care for her and be honest. If you honestly care for her, then you should not leave her. If you're not sure, then you should take a hike.

So you decided to stay, what to do? First thing is you need to make her realize she has a problem. Before that, nothing is possible. To do that, you have to point out how alcohol usage is affecting her life outside partying. That happens when she is sober. No use trying to talk sense when she's drinking. You'll just get a bunch of crap on you. Not doing any good for either of you. So you must make her see how much damage she is doing to herself.

That's the only way you can move forward to help her. Then, you must be supporting her every time she goes and blows it all up and how everything is your fault. Just take it, and drop it in the trash bin, it's likely not meant to you anyway.

In fact, you shouldn't even read more. Make a decision. Stay with her side, or leave her. If you stay, the only thing you need to be focusing on is being her friend and trying to make her see that it's a problem, and it's affecting her life in negative ways. And don't be a little investigative annoying person all the time. Be her friend.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

You can save the damsel from a tiger or slithering snake in the grass. You can fight off the black knight bent on rape and mayhem with the fair lady, but from the damsel you can not save the damsel. You can however save yourself by forgetting about her.

Take a hike.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              what do quizzes have to do with pubs?
                              it's a Brit thang

Comment

Working...
                              X