Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wonderful world of shell scripts

I love them
    Probably the most useful thing ever invented. I don't know how to program Windows-BAT files, but I know BASH and with the GNU commandline utilities you can do almost everything.

The only thing that I hate is the syntax and I've torn several hairs out to get some things right.
    VAR=$VAR+1 works that way: VAR=$(($VAR+1))

Anyway I just did one in about one minute that saved me probably 2 hours time of ridiculous work.

Ofc for me, all that would be impossible without Cygwin!
    Bash
    Cygwin

OMG, you're Kuciwalker's DL!!!
    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

No... that would be Gen. Atkinson.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Again... what's with this DL stuff?

You are all mean. And I'm a glutton.

Not for pain, I'm just hungry.
        Hehe....burr.

Looshkin's Lair

Comment

You only lack one step - tcsh is what really rocks. I thougth csh ruled, but then I saw the light
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What's so great about tcsh?

Besides it is 4 a.m. I should get some sleep... or compile the results...

Comment

Re: The wonderful world of shell scripts

Originally posted by Atahualpa
              I love them
              Probably the most useful thing ever invented. I don't know how to program Windows-BAT files, but I know BASH and with the GNU commandline utilities you can do almost everything.

The only thing that I hate is the syntax and I've torn several hairs out to get some things right.
              VAR=$VAR+1 works that way: VAR=$(($VAR+1))
              Don't know what data your trying to manipulate, but have you every tried MatLab? Very flexible with data arrays!

D

Comment

Actually, I write my scripts in ksh - that is the most portable, but I prefer to use tcsh in my propt (arrow up is much easier) .

Anyway, ksh wasn't invented when I had to choose between sh and csh so I am a csh fan
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: Re: The wonderful world of shell scripts

Originally posted by Darsnan

Don't know what data your trying to manipulate, but have you every tried MatLab? Very flexible with data arrays!

D
                  I have not tried, but it's available in the lab and they said there is even a guy who is quite an expert with it.
                  As for now I am just doing some filesystem stuff with bash and compile results with a mathematica notebook

I think I go to bed now

Comment

Re: Re: Re: The wonderful world of shell scripts

Originally posted by Atahualpa

I have not tried, but it's available in the lab and they said there is even a guy who is quite an expert with it.
                    I'd recommend you become friends with that "Expert", and I'd bet that individual's future is bright wherever they end up.....

D

Comment

Where is Kuci? Did he get locked in one of his thirty-two private bathrooms?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Aggie - last time you said he had twenty-something bathrooms . WTF ?

Comment

ok. been thinking about this for some time.

As a kid, i taught myself basic from a book and wrote simple graphic based games by the time was 11 or 12. After that I got interested in other things.

I currently know nothing about C/C++/visual basic...i dont really even know what these are.

If i wanted to teach myself some stuff and get back into the swing of things, where would be the best place to start? I need free downloads for compilers (is that even the right term) and that sort of thing. Im sure i can find turtorials and stuff online

Im using windows xp and basically am not sure what language i should go for and where to get it.

All help appreciated

Comment

#!/bin/sh pwnz all these sissy new shells

history command, PAH

Being able to use the backspace without getting garbage or having to set the TTY. PAH
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu Elephant
                              ok. been thinking about this for some time.

As a kid, i taught myself basic from a book and wrote simple graphic based games by the time was 11 or 12. After that I got interested in other things.

I currently know nothing about C/C++/visual basic...i dont really even know what these are.

If i wanted to teach myself some stuff and get back into the swing of things, where would be the best place to start? I need free downloads for compilers (is that even the right term) and that sort of thing. Im sure i can find turtorials and stuff online

Im using windows xp and basically am not sure what language i should go for and where to get it.

All help appreciated
                              I don't think you will have trouble finding a free compiler. There should be a bunch of them out there. If I would you I'd study some kind of C or Java.

Maybe the programmers around here have better advice on a more specific language.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X